This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

It is easy to doubt yourself in today’s society, which is filled with so many people who constantly crave competition and success. This is especially true in a college setting, where staying in the library until 3 a.m. is considered essential to receiving a good grade. But why doubt your abilities and successes when all of the evidence suggests that you are worthy and deserving? This feeling actually has a name, and it is called Imposter Syndrome. I learned about this my freshman year in a management seminar and quickly realized how relevant it is. Imposter syndrome is that feeling when you nail an audition or get first place in a competition, and your first reaction is “I’m just lucky” or “There were other people that were better than me.” Or when you get a good grade and your brain tells you “The professor probably just feels bad for me, so they gave me a good grade.” Does that sound familiar?

As college students, we are accustomed to thinking we are not good enough, and that someone is always better than us. Especially as women, we are always being told that we are not as good as our male cohorts. It is a rough feeling, but it is genuinely all internal. Why do we make ourselves feel like this? I know during my time as an undergrad, these feelings crept up on me out of nowhere. The feeling of my resume only taking up half a page was almost mortifying, but it did not have to be. I knew I was fully capable of landing the jobs I wanted, and I did. You do not need to have the longest email signature in order to achieve success and feel confident in your abilities. It is time to stop doubting yourself. Start taking credit for all of your achievements and successes, but you deserve it.

One of the strategies I use, even to this day, is tracking all of my accomplishments in a journal, and even putting pictures or memorable artifacts in a binder for me to look back at later. When I start applying to a new job and look at the qualifications list and freak out, I look back at those memories and realize how capable I am. I find this super helpful because it can be hard to keep track of everything you have done, and it is a super rewarding experience to look back at the memorabilia you have collected. To take a second and pause is a very self-reflecting experience and I highly recommend it.

There is also another important point I want to make. We need to start encouraging more women to reach their goals. Women supporting women is what it is all about. But we cannot be what we cannot see, and that is a super important concept to grasp. When we do not see other women in positions of power, we start to lose focus and motivation. When you see your women-folk classmates talking in class, try amplifying their voice by saying, “Wow I really like what so-and-so said, can we go back to that statement?” This tactic was created during the Obama Administration and is used around the world today. Not only does it make workplaces more diverse and inclusive, but it also allows for people to talk openly and freely. Who would not want that?

So, no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being confident. Whether your email signature is just your name, or your resume is only half a page, be PROUD of that. You deserve to feel confident and understood. During this school year, if you ever feel inferior or rejected, there are many resources on campus available to you. One, in particular, is the Center for Women and Gender Equity, located in Lawrence 214. Our space is big enough for you to come, hang out, and feel validated.

Credit: Cover, 2, 3

Caroline Lewis

West Chester '21

Caroline Lewis, she/her/hers West Chester University, 2021 B.A. Business Management Minor in Human Resource Management Center for Women and Gender Equity, Peer Educator Student Government Association, BPMC Senator HerCampus, Vice President
Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.