Style

The College Student Piercing Epidemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

When I was in highschool, I was boring. Well, not boring, but I never changed anything about my appearance. My long brown hair was always long and brown. My face was always bare. Only two crystal stud lobe earrings filled my ears. There was nothing “cool” about me, unless you got to know me. Once I moved to college I never thought that this would change. Piercings were scary. I didn’t like that it would hurt, and what if I didn’t like it once I got it. Then it would feel like I wasted money. Well, all of these thoughts dispelled my spring semester of freshman year. 

My friends and I were walking around West Chester borough when we stumbled upon a piercing shop. My friend turned to me and said, “What if we just got piercings right now?” I was hesitant at first but I was also thrilled and pumped with adrenaline. We walked in and filled out forms and had our IDs checked. The piercer asked me what I wanted and I asked for two helix piercings. She said that it would look great! We then entered the back of the shop and I sat in the piercing chair. My piercer was extremely kind and talked me through the entire process. She pierced my ear and I went on my way.

Pinterest has great images for piercing ideas

When I got back to the dorm and looked at my ear, I was obsessed. It is crazy how much a little change can make you feel so good about yourself. I became addicted. I got 6 piercings in the span of 3 months. I got my third lobe piercings with my mom, my conch with my best friend from home, then my nose piercing back at college. Most recently, I got my septum pierced with my roommates. These piercings may seem minuit, but they make all the difference that I need in order to spice up my appearance. 

With all of this being said, I believe that college is a time for people to reinvent themselves. We are young and made to try new things, and now is the time to do so as we are not tied up with professional endeavors and if we are, they are loose. Now is the time to test new hairstyles and colors, getting piercings, maybe even a tattoo if it is something you’ve been thinking about for a while. This is why I think college students get piercings especially. Not only do they help spice up appearance, but they are not permanent. You can change the jewelry out for something to fit each occasion such as work, weddings, parties, etc. All together, it makes sense for college students to go out to get piercings. They are pretty cheap starting at around $50 a piercing (which is not bad). There are so many places to explore in West Chester, especially when it comes to piercing and tattoo shops. If you happen to have time and the money to do so, I recommend you to explore West Chester Borough and get yourself a fun piercing. Check out Gentleman Jack’s Tattoos or Liberty Bell Tattoos if you are interested in getting a piercing! I guarantee you won’t regret it. 

Shannon Byrnes

West Chester '26

Hi, my name is Shannon Byrnes, and a writer for Her Campus at West Chester University. I am a Communication major with a minor in Professional and Technical Writing. I am currently a sophomore at West Chester University and love house plants and going on nature walks. In my free time I sing, play music, and listen to music as well as journaling and writing. I also love to grab an iced coffee, thrift, and explore with my friends! Cows are my favorite animal.