How to Beat Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

There are so many times I find myself thinking of random little thoughts as possible prompts to a good story or poetry entry and then…I blank. I scroll through my notes on my phone to find random words that I don’t entirely know the meaning to. It is all jumbled and I get frustrated that I’m not writing like I used to. 

But oftentimes than not, we just need to take a step back and refresh our mind to be able to come back to our craft. Here are a few tips I have found helpful to get that “noggin” back into some creative writing!

Go on a Walk

Sometimes it just takes some fresh air! Being inside and consistently looking at a computer can be a little monotonous. While you are either walking around your neighborhood or even on a trail, take notice of all of the things around you. The leaves on the ground, the little squirrel running up the tree, or the sun beaming on your face.

Write all of the imagery that you are taking in on your phone or notebook. Sometimes little things can lead to big ideas. Even if it doesn’t entirely lead you to a new idea, it gives you peace of mind the beauty nature has to offer!

Read a Book

Brush off the dust from one of your books on your bookshelf and start reading! Get lost in the world of another individual and put yourself in their position. What would you be thinking? How would you act? What would your next move be? 

Try to write from another point of view. Sometimes changing perspectives can create a really interesting narrative for a new piece of writing!

Do your Research!

Start googling away! There are so many websites that provide different prompts and creative tips on how to start brainstorming. Sometimes, it may just take a group of phrases to spark a new idea. Get a notebook and write down a bunch of different ideas that websites have to offer. 

Listen to Music

Start shuffling through your music library and select random slow songs. Close your eyes and intently listen to the lyrics in the song. Listen to sad, happy, nostalgic, and deep songs. A lot of artists I personally get inspiration from are Lana Del Ray, Lorde, Conan Grey, the 1975, Hozier, Dodie, and many more. 

Listen to artists you may never have heard of through playlists other people make. You never know what you may find. 

Now that you have all of these little tips, start writing away! :)

Katie Shannon

West Chester '21

Katie Shannon is the previous founder and president of Her Campus at West Chester chapter and a proud alumnus of West Chester University (May 2021). She is a marketing, communications, and public relations professional, now located in New York City, with 2+ years of experience at award-winning companies and businesses. This includes working with clientele such as Essence, Pixar, E*Trade, Morgan Stanley, Primark, Google, YouTube, Apple, Microsoft, MaryKay, Extra, Emergen-c, Maybelline, Garnier, Her Campus HQ, and more. As well, she has shared her time at different invite-only networking events at organizations such as National Geographic, Paka, iHeartMedia, Wunderkind, and more. Located in New York City, Katie has contributed her efforts working with Essence's Planet Team organization which primarily centers its efforts on "championing Essence's sustainability targets and delivering inspirational and practical content around the environmental issues we face today and the steps we can take to address them, at home, at work, and in our communities." Her different opportunities have provided a wide range of experience in editorial, management, analytical skillset, comfort with making data-driven decisions, developing and nurturing relationships with existing clients and agencies to generate renewal business, sales & marketing, events/event-planning, community, design, writing, attention to detail, organizational skills, managerial skills, project management skills, social media analytics, SEO, multi-tasking, written and verbal communication skills.