We are living in an odd time nowadays. There are different rules and obligations to go by within every day, including how we go through our schooling. Here are some different pieces of advice for all incoming students to WCU that, I hope, help you along the way.

Websites That Got Me Through

You are on a roll working on homework assignments when all of a sudden *BAM*, you’re stuck. You can’t seem to get out of it and suddenly you’re at a roadblock. However, it doesn’t need to stay that way. Here are some websites that can help you along the way

» Creating Citations & Bibliographies – Easybib and Citation Machine

» Homework and Exam Help & SolutionsChegg Study and Slader

» Grammar/Spelling Corrections and Plagiarism CheckGrammarly (can be added as an extension on Google Chrome to check emails and documents)

» DIY Social Media Posts/Flyers/Resume Templates/Slideshow Presentations/Zoom BackgroundsCanva

» Essay Breakdowns/Correcting Sentence StructureHemingway Editor

» Bibliography Organizer/CreatorZotero (works as a browser extension)

» Students Reviews about Courses/ProfessorsRateMyProfessor 

» Online Flashcards and Study GuidesQuizlet

Get. INVOLVED.
Sports Volleyball Hands In
Tiffany Meh / Spoon

Look into the different clubs and organizations on campus! Even though we are remote, RamConnect is the go-to platform at WCU to help connect students to clubs/organizations on campus! Once you request to be added to a club, you instantly will be on the club’s mailing list to receive updates. 

As well, look at wcupa.edu for the full list of clubs and organizations recognized at WCU. 

The Best Restaurants Downtown

West Chester’s downtown area has Gay Street open as an open market for all restaurants to have seating on the street! Grab some friends and have fun downtown! Here are some great places I personally love to get food from:

» Desserts: D’Ascenzo’s Gelato, Dia Doce Gourmet Cupcakes, & Cookie Dope: Edible Cookie Dough & Ice Cream 

» Sushi Restaurants: Bon Bon Sushi and Tsunami Sushi

» Italian Restaurants: Mercato & Teca

» Brunch/Lunch: Couch Tomato, Nudy’s Cafe, and Classic Diner

Get internships/jobs in the area! 

Take advantage of all that Chester County has to offer! KOP, Exton, West Chester, and Glen Mills have so many corporations, restaurants, and offices that range. A huge resource to get internships and jobs is Handshake. I have personally had three different jobs solely from applying through Handshake (btw, WCU provides all students a free account if you log in using wcupa’s domain name (ex. wcupa.joinhandshake.com/login)).

As well, Indeed is another great resource to look even further and the WC area has ton of babysitting/dog care jobs available through the Facebook Class of xxxx group pages. 

Take advantage of what nature has to offer!

The convenience of going to a school like WCU is that there is so much to adventure around the WC area. A great place that is walkable from campus is Everheart Park. It is a fifteen-minute walk and is the perfect place to have a picnic, go on trails, or play basketball. As well, there are plenty of trails in walking distance such as Stroud Preserve and Okehocking Preserve.

I hope this guide has helped you along the way of navigating college. But don’t sweat it, just come in with an open mind and go out and meet people!

Hello! My name's Katie Shannon. I am the founder and president of the West Chester University chapter of Her Campus! I am an incoming senior with an expected B.S. degree in Business Marketing. Outside of Her Campus, I am the Public Relations Director for Marketing Muscle, LLC., Vice President of Operations at WESCON at WCU, an Advancement Assistant for Chester County Community Foundation, and a Marketing & Acquisition Intern for GenZ Publishing. Starting a Her Campus chapter at my university has been an experience of a lifetime. At HC WCU, we focus on empowering women and celebrating each other throughout all the different parts of our lives. I wanted to create a “home away from home” that women can confide in and feel a warm and welcoming sense of community. This is a club where everyone’s voices are to be heard and listened to. Many times it’s easy to feel meshed into the crowd and not feel as important as the person next to you. Her Campus is far from that. It’s where women have an outlet to speak out in what they believe in and talk about topics they want to discuss, not what they are told to discuss. Not only do we discuss, but we also set it in motion. Her Campus carries out events led by women where we work along with other organizations and bring people together, on and off-campus. We are not here to compete. We are here to root each other on, pushing ourselves and others to be the best version that there is to offer. That’s what Her Campus is all about.