This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

As I sit here and write this article, I can hardly even recall how long this quarantine has been so far, 3 weeks? 4 weeks? It feels as if time and life have stopped completely because in many ways they have. The sudden and urgent change and adjustment has taken a toll on humans all across the world. My heart goes out to so many people, such as doctors, nurses, grocery store workers, food workers, those in poverty, those who cannot afford safe housing or food right now, and millions of students like me who lost their final semester as a college senior. There is so much uncertainty and fear that comes with a pandemic like this, such as how long will this last? When will I be able to see my friends and family again? Am I going to be able to afford all my bills and necessities? Will I even get a job in a few months after graduation? What is the future outcome going to be from all this? Will we bounce back? These questions and thoughts have kept me up at night since this all began along with other emotions such as anger, deep sadness, anxiety and frustration as I realize so many moments and events have been canceled such as proper graduation ceremonies, vacations, birthdays, weddings, concerts, sporting events, and so many other things…simply just not happening.

I know that sounds very selfish because the world is suffering and so many people are dying, but this is something no one ever expected to happen in their lifetime. And we are all allowed to feel emotional and grieve these things. My point is, while this whole thing is just horrible and scary and confusing, we must try our best to see the silver lining of this situation.  We must be kinder to those around us and do our absolute best to slow this down as soon as possible. I have had lots of time to ponder and think deeply about everything that is happening and I have come up with a list of 20 things I have realized and learned during my time in quarantine so far. Some are positive, some are eye-opening, some are funny and others are inspiring.

SP Home 2
JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

1. I realized I love being a homebody, until I am told that I have to stay home and social distance.
  2. I should add “touching my face” to my list of hobbies, because I do that 98% of my day even though you are not supposed to.
  3. For all that we have learned and advanced with medicine and technology, we still have a long way to go.
  4. That we need to appreciate health care workers and teachers more.
  5. We are all human and vulnerable to sickness and death, no matter what race, age, ethnicity, etc. I am thankful for the health I have.
  6. Having a roof over my head, food in my fridge, and Netflix to watch is a huge blessing and privilege.
  7. I am seeing more compassion and kindness through the Internet, since we are all stuck and able to connect and reach out to each other more.
  8. I realized I enjoy running and taking walks and spending more time in nature.
  9. My faith is stronger than I thought it was
  10. Crisis has brought out the best and worst in people- including regular citizens and world leaders.
  11. I am not cut out for a remote or desk life job.
  12. Toilet paper is the new national currency (don’t be greedy)
  13. I need to appreciate life’s moments more in the grand scheme of things, because anything can be taken away at any time, and a virus doesn’t care that you had events planned or how old you are or what your dreams and goals are.
  14. I will still succeed despite not being able to finish out college in person.
  15. I never realized all the things I could possibly clean in the house until now
  16. All those times people said you will not be able to work or do school from home fully…look at us now!
  17. Online shopping is a girls true best friend
  18. I heavily relied on restaurants, bars, malls and hair and nail salons to make me happy.
  19. I want to help people and become more charitable during and after all this
  20. I might be powerless over this virus but not helpless. I have learned new ways to take care of myself mentally, physically and spiritually. This too will pass.
Kylie Pannella

West Chester '20

Hi! My name is Kylie Pannella. I am a senior at West Chester Univeristy. I major in Communications and minor in Media and Culture. I love to write and hope to share my voice and interests with others. In my free time, I love to hang out with my friends and family, work out, listen to music, practice self care, netflix, shop and do anything that makes me happy!
Contributor account.