Life > Experiences

Romanticizing the “best years of your life”: Tips from a Teenage Drama Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

If you’ve ever seen Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, then you know what it looks like to live a romanticized If you’ve ever seen Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, then you know what it looks like to live a romanticized life. Lindsay Lohan stunts in her role as Lola (AKA Mary), through her outfits, NYC roots, and lust for life. I encourage you to channel your inner Lola as we get ready for summer, and even for the next semester! Being a teenage girl deserves to be romanticized, and here are some healthy ways you can spice up your teen years before they come to a close.

“Main Character” Mentality

Maybe you think this phrase is overused or cringe, but being the “main character” is hands down the best way to romanticize your life. Most people would say “dance like nobody’s watching,” and in return I say “dance like everybody’s watching.” This mentality is harmless on the surface, and if you’re like me, you’ll feel like your life is transformed into a movie. As soon as I wake up, I have a soundtrack ready to start the day, and I go through my routine with my music on blast as if I’m the star of the show: making a trip out of grabbing a coffee and taking the long way so I can flex my new shoes. Don’t be afraid to smile at a stranger or make a grand entrance, because at the end of the day, it’s your life, therefore you are the main character.

Fit Check

Ladies, ladies. Almost all problems can be solved with a cute outfit and a pair of hoops, and nobody knows fashion like a teenage girl. With Pinterest boards for everything under the sun and most likely a Shein order coming in the mail as you read this, these are the girls who are truly living the romanticized life. On days you feel like being comfy: throw your hair in a messy bun, add some dangly earrings, lip gloss and BOOM, you look put together. Maybe you need to dress business casual for an interview: cop a leather blazer, twist your hair into a claw clip, and problem solved. There’s no such thing as trying too hard if it makes you feel like you!

Be that “Basic B”

It’s time we get over this idea of being “basic.” Is it really basic to go to Starbucks or to rave about Target? Clearly there’s a reason a lot of people like these things, so don’t let a label keep you from enjoying them too! As a teenage girl, I’ll admit that I love a lot of basic things:

• Taylor Swift
  • the color pink
  • Dirty Dancing
  • getting tan
  • having a crush
  • taking pictures of the sky

These are things that never get old. And once you know what you like, it doesn’t matter what anyone else has to say about it.

Romanticizing life isn’t always a toxic thing, as long as you can balance your expectations vs. reality. While the phrase “these are the best years of your life” may not be true for everyone, the intention is to encourage you to make the most of them. So go out and live your life babe! You are everything you need to be and more, and there’s absolutely no harm in owning that and holding your chin up as you strut the streets.

XOXO, Cassidy Seipt

💋 Related: ‘90s Trends That Are Back in Style
Cassidy Seipt

West Chester '25

Hi! My name is Cassidy and I'm a freshman at West Chester University and I'm a Media & Culture major with a Digital Marketing minor. I've always been more of an arts person, whether it's reading and writing or making my own art. I hope I can bring some articles to the table that are relatable and make people feel heard.