5 (Maybe) New Hobbies to Try Out If Quarantine Is Getting To You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

Despite the lift of mandatory lockdown in many states, you probably are still quarantining to protect yourself during this pandemic. But either way, quarantine boredom is real and creeps in sooner than you realize. Binging Netflix for hours or scrolling through your phone seems like a good way to pass the time, but these activities become unfulfilling after a while. In an effort to stave off this boredom, I decided to try out these new hobbies, and they might work for you as well. I figured, let’s give these a shot, and maybe you will like them too!

Watercolor Painting

You do not have to consider yourself an artist to take a whirl at watercolors. There are some starter kits available at Target, or at a local arts and crafts store. Taking the time to choose your colors carefully and painting whatever comes to mind is an easy way to relax and pass the day away. Looking up simple watercolor pictures on Pinterest or Google is also a good way to introduce your brush and paper to new ideas. This hobby is one I’m able enjoy, even if I may not be the best at it.

Embroidery

Another inexpensive diversion is embroidering. The more you focus and pay attention to the tiny details, the faster you will find yourself immersed in the rhythm of the needle slipping through the fabric. As mentioned with watercolors, introductory kits are also available at Target or at a local art store. Practicing this hobby every day (like most hobbies) enhances your abilities, and you can reach embroidery levels you never thought possible.

Exercise

While exercising doesn’t seem too appealing to some people, it doesn’t change the fact that adding this hobby into your daily routine has many benefits. Start out slow if you’re new to exercising. You don’t want to overdo it and end up extremely sore, thus putting you off the idea of trying it again. YouTube has thousands of free videos to offer that range from yoga and stretching, to light weights and floor routines. At home exercises are an alternative to the gym if you’re unable to get out there. You do not need expensive equipment to start, just find a comfortable spot on the floor and press play.

Baking

A tasty way to take up time is baking! Cookies, cakes, pies, bread, and cupcakes are all fair game when it comes to dusting the kitchen counters with flour. So, flip through that cookbook or check out some websites or Pinterest to find your perfect recipe. Get creative with the decorating but stick to the recipe when baking to ensure your dessert comes out the best. Since baking can take hours to finish, this hobby will have you distracted for a good while. It even leaves you with something sweet to eat!

Writing

Last but not least, try your hand at writing. Whether it is scratching a few poetry lines on a napkin or purchasing a fancy notebook to fill with your thoughts, writing is a memorable hobby that helps to inspire and calm the mind. Writing is anything and everything. From journaling with a feather pen to spinning stories in a Google Doc, the possibilities to create are only limited to your imagination. Although not a new hobby for me, taking the chance to practice this skill is one I’d take at any moment.

These are a few hobbies that I chose to take up while stuck in patches of boredom, but they have stayed with me. Now I have something to do instead of twiddling my thumbs over the TV remote buttons. Hopefully, you decide to take a chance and try one of these hobbies out. They may make a difference in your life.

Leah Mikulich

West Chester '21

Leah Mikulich is a senior at West Chester studying for her degree in English on the writings track with a French minor. As well as being an intern for Her Campus, she is the President of Daedalus Literary Magazine. When she's not finishing hours of schoolwork, she enjoys reading, baking for her friends, collecting too many journals, and writing short stories. Although working for a publishing company is one of her job goals, she'd also like to publish her own book one day.
Contributor account.