This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

Ever since I really understood what it meant to have children, I haven’t ever wanted any. I’ve never vibed well with children and just don’t see them in my future. Any time I say this, though, I’m always told I’ll change my mind. Without fail, any adult I tell I don’t want children will conjure any scenario that could ever exist which would result in me having children. What if your significant other wants children? What if you end up falling in love with someone who has children? What if What if What if?

Needless to say, this has always annoyed me. I’m forced to come up with answers for these scenarios which probably won’t ever happen to me. Given that I’m adamantly against having children, it’s something I communicate to the person I date, usually when we start talking about what we want out of life. I’m always upfront with this kind of stuff because I think that person deserves it. 

For me, children are a hard no and always have been. Of course, circumstances could put me in a future situation where I end up taking care of children, but I don’t ever see myself intentionally having children. When people try to convince me that I secretly want to or should want to have children, it confuses me. Why would you want someone who has voiced their disinterest in children to take care of them

People have become literal serial killers because of this shit!

Not only would having children when it’s not something I’ve planned for or wanted fuck up my life, but it could possibly lead to fucking up that child’s life. I don’t want to fuck up a kid! I don’t think that’s an unreasonable desire. Forcing someone who doesn’t want to have children into the position of having children is much more harmful than simply going separate ways with someone with different desires.

This is all to say: please stop pressuring everyone to want and have children. It could lead to an influx of serial killers. 

Meagan Speich is a writer & senior editor for WesCo HerCampus. She has an English major and minors in Religious Studies. When not writing, she can be found reading, sleeping, or eating, and finds it unfortunate that she can't do all at once.