This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

It’s 2:53 PM. You go to your dorm to pick up a textbook or phone charger for your next class. You enter, and step over a pair of pajama pants on the floor. You make your way around your bed, which has somehow been shifted closer to your desk. Looking at your desk, you notice that it appears to no longer have a surface. You ignore the fact that the surface is gone because it’s buried beneath a layer of flyers and receipts and letters. Searching for your book and charger, you notice that there’s a CD on your bookcase with no case or sleeve. And a shopping bag hanging from your doorknob. And that your succulents have a layer of dust.

You remember that your roommate asked to borrow your scissors the night before, and look for them. While searching for them, you find yourself frustrated because they’re not where you swore you left them. Resigning, you push the scissors to the back of your mind and collect the things for which you entered the room in the first place. You exit, sighing as you shut the door on the overwhelming set behind you.

If this scenario sounds familiar, or likely to happen to you in the near future, it may be time to tidy up your living space. When I’ve put off organizing my room for so long that I find myself overwhelmed, the routine below is my go-to. Staying busy at school can make it hard to justify spending time on your room rather than other things. So against that, tell yourself that time you spend maintaining a comfortable and organized living (or sleeping) space is personal care time and therefore a priority. 

A valuable observation I’ve made in college is that sometimes it’s overwhelming to confront big messes all at once. And that’s okay. You may do this routine in bits or timed intervals (sometimes 10 minutes of chores is all there’s time or energy for). Or you can complete it in one go. However you choose to do it, I guarantee that the completion of this list will result in a tidier (and more comfortable) living space. 

1. Make your bed. 

You don’t have to make a habit of making your bed every morning, but it’s great to have a flat and made-up surface for placing and organizing things as you straighten out the rest of your room. 

2. Clear your floors and doorknobs – 

You don’t have to sweep, but clearing the floor of your pajamas, shoes, and other items forces you to organize these items in your closet, which I’m sure you made a system for at the beginning of the semester. Remove the shopping bags or bookbags from the doorknobs and place their contents where they belong. Then, place the bag where it belongs.

3. Organize your desk –

I’m sure you’re weary of reading in general at this point in the semester, but this step is probably the most important. Skim through the loose flyers and letters and receipts on your desk, and recycle the ones you no longer need. Leave the papers you need for sorting and shelving later. Check up on the desk drawers and your bookshelf to make sure they are organized.  Check that your books’ spines are visible. Take a break. Or call it quits. 

While you’re at it, make it fun! I highly recommend doing this routine while deep conditioning your hair or listening to that podcast/playlist you’ve been wanting to hear. And don’t forget to reward yourself after. Happy tidying!

A Current English and Theatre major at Wesleyan College - First for Women. Also a tree nymph and glitter goddess. Creative queen with writer's block tendencies.