stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

7 Ways To Unwind Without Plugging In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

First, let me define what I mean by “plugging in”. Plugging in is any activity that requires you to look at a screen, especially for extended periods of time. That means that binging Netflix shows, watching YouTube videos, and marathoning your favorite movie series are all off the list. Sorry, y’all, that isn’t relaxing enough for your brain or your eyes. These are seven tried-and-true methods that yours truly has used to unwind, relax, and destress. 

Listening to music. Yes, this involves technology, but you will not be staring at a screen! Just pick some tunes and sit there. Let the music fill your brain on its own or listen while you do something else at the same time. YouTube has some cool playlists for relaxing music. 

Hammocking. This is one of the most relaxing things I have done in my life. I have had some nearly transcendental moments in my hammock, swaying in the breeze. Sometimes I listen to music, and sometimes I just let myself drift. I like to hang my hammock in some cherry trees near my library, usually in the late afternoon. At this time of year, that’s the perfect time to watch the sun set, and I’ve got a great view. 

Walking. Walking is so freaking relaxing. It must have something to do with the steady repetition of my footsteps; it’s a great way for me to unwind, especially after a long class or a tough assignment. Wesleyan has an awesome arboretum with several different paths, and I like to just walk and walk through there as well as around the main campus.  

Exercising. Yes, walking is technically exercise, but I’m talking about physical exertion in a gym or on a running path. You can do just about anything! Lift weights. Run a mile or two. Dance for 10 minutes straight. Get your heart rate up! Move your body! I’m not exactly an adrenaline junkie, but the feeling I get after a few sprints is pretty nice, and surprisingly relaxing. 

Reading (for pleasure, not class!). I have a stack of books I want to read and another stack of books to re-read. Howl’s Moving Castle and Sense and Sensibility are some good ones, but I also want to start reading Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. Make your own lists! Choose what books you want to read for the first time and start borrowing from your library, one at a time. Maybe it’ll take you a month to finish one, but at the end you will have accomplished something that was not school-related, which is always a nice feeling.  

Writing. This can be anything from journaling to picking random prompts from Pinterest to keeping a notebook of book ideas to develop at a later date. Many of my friends keep bullet journals, but I’ve got a writing journal that I’ve had for years and I just keep jotting down little ideas to develop as stories in my Google Docs. So far, I’ve actually written several short stories, one poem, and a short play. I’m also currently in the middle of NaNoWriMo, but that’s an article for another day. 

Art. You don’t have to be a “bona fide” artist or even have taken an art class to get the mental and emotional benefits of drawing or painting or doing almost any kind of art. Art projects for classes/grades/jobs/etc. do NOT count. I’m talking about doodling a big ole’ scribble and coloring in the lines with different colors, or painting rocks, or playing with clay! Just let your imagination and hands wander and give your brain a rest. 

Natalie is a writer and a double major at Wesleyan. She is also the oldest sibling in a large family and a nerd. In her spare time, Natalie enjoys reading, baking, hammocking, and watching fantasy/sci-fi.
Maddy Delaney is the Co-Correspondent for Her Campus at Wesleyan College. When she's not writing, she's hammock-ing, eating mozzarella sticks, or knitting. Yes, she is, in fact, an elderly woman named Edith in a college student's body.