nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

When Should I Be Concerned About My Mental Health?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Mental illness can hit you like a brick, and sometimes, you may not even know it.  Sometimes it can be hard to tell if you’re just stressed or if you have anxiety, or if you’re just upset or have depression. In these moments, we don’t always know how we’re feeling, so when should we be worried about the state of our mental health?

• If your sleep or appetite changes

It’s common to sleep more and feel more tired when you’re feeling depressed, and anxiety can have the same or opposite effects.

• If you’re having mood swings

When your chemicals are imbalanced, everything can be all over the place. This makes it easy to feel fine one second and to lose your temper the next.

• Lack of feeling present

Life can be a lot to handle, and when you add mental illness into the mix, it can be so much harder. You may find yourself feeling distant from what you’re doing. This very well could be a sign of anxiety or depression

• Problems in memory

Our minds don’t work as effectively when there’s too much going on inside of our heads. That said, it can be harder to remember things like we did before.

• Feeling constantly “scatterbrained”

When we’re all over the place, so are our minds. If you find yourself having intrusive thoughts, or thoughts that are jumpy and interrupt each other, you may be struggling with a mental illness.

• Losing interest in your favorite things

This is a big one; if you don’t care about the things that you used to be passionate about, you should seek help. This means that you’re starting to lose yourself as a person due to mental illness.

• Nervousness

If you find yourself panicking over things that you shouldn’t be, or waking up feeling sick for no reason, you could have anxiety.

• Irritability

I often find myself getting annoyed very easily. I notice that this is more likely to happen when I’m feeling anxious or depressed.

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July
Wells Womxn