This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Since 1868, Wells women have made the world a better place. There’s something about Wells women that sets them apart from other women; they have a sense of Wells pride and love that motivates them to make something of themselves. I’m not just talking about Frances Folsom Cleveland or Pleasant Rowland, I’m talking about the women of Wells College past, present, and future. 

She’s all around you, she’s in you. She’s the one who speaks out when needed. She’s the one who stands up for herself. She’s the one that goes above and beyond. She’s the fighter in you. She keeps the spirit alive. She’s the one that maintains the legacy of all Wells women before her and after her.

Formerly one of the first women’s colleges in the United States, Wells created some of the most intelligent, strong-willed, and incredible women in the country. Henry Wells, the founder of the college, created the institution to train women to be “good enough” for their male counterparts attending Cornell University. However, an unexpected breed of women emerged from Wells college that worked toward an independent identity beyond Cornell men: Wells Women. Rather, these Wells Women actually learned to be the best for themselves and to disrupt the status quo.

Wells women are born through tradition, sisterhood, family, and through the legacies that they continue to make today.

Here’s a shoutout to all Wells Women past, present, and future. Thank you for the love and connection that I feel with every single one of you. Thank you for your strength, dedication, and badassery. Thank you for your contributions to this world. Thank you for showing me everything I want to be and more.  

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July
Wells Womxn