Meet the CC’s: Darielis Rivas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Name: Darielis Rivas

Class Year: 2019 (Oddline)

Major: Sociology & Anthropology

Minor: Communications

Hometown: Manhattan, NY

Darielis Rivas is the second Co-Campus Correspondent and Marketing & Publicity Director of the Her Campus Chapter at Wells.

Who is your (S)hero?

I have so many women that I look up to: Gina Torres, Gina Rodriguez, Danai Gurira, Zendaya Coleman, and the list can go on. These are some of the strongest women of color, who are not just entertainers, but also focus on using their voices to raise awareness for serious political, economic and social issues. I hope that one day I can emulate these women and their careers.

What do you do in your spare time?

Just about anything that might prevent me from doing actual work. I’m a procrastinator, therefore I might be binging the newest Netflix show, catching up on some reading, or trying a new yoga pose.

What’s one of your guilty pleasures?

I recently started watching the NBC show This Is Us, and I finally understand the hype. The very first episode had me in tears, but instead of it feeling like it was making me sad, it was almost therapeutic. I definitely recommend the show to anyone who’s interested!

What is a stereotype that you want to destroy?

Being an American but also being Latina, I constantly see other Latinas facing stereotypes, and we’re always boxed into characterizations without our permission. I might be called spicy, people might think that I can’t speak English and if I can’t speak Spanish my own community will ostracize me. I might be expected to do or behave in certain ways because of where my parents come from, but that isn’t the case with every Latina. There’s a million stereotypes that I would love to shatter, but as a society we have a long way to go.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

I usually panic when people ask me what I hope to be doing in the future, but I’ve been telling myself that no matter where I end up I need to make sure I’m doing something that I genuinely care about. There are so many places that I’d like to visit and I’m reigniting my passion for writing. All I can do is enjoy being the person that I am now and work as hard as I can to reach my goals. I’m just thankful that I have a platform like Her Campus that allows me to voice my opinions, thoughts, and experiences and for me, that’s enough right now.

Darielis is a senior at Wells College, majoring in Sociology and Anthropology with a minor in Communication Studies. She usually can't go mornings without at least one cup of Café Bustelo. She is also often found dedicating time to Her Campus at Wells as the Co-Campus Correspondent. Ideally, in the future she would be a travel blogger, an investigative journalist, a freelance writer or perhaps all of the above. Hobbies include Netflix binges, reading horoscopes, and yoga.