bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

To the Girl Who Doesn’t See Her Worth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

To the girl who doesn’t see her worth:

It hurts me so much to see you hurt yourself. It shatters my heart when you tell yourself, and truly believe that you aren’t good enough. If only you saw what I see in you. If only your presence took away your breath the way it takes away mine. If only you admired yourself the way I admire you. If only you saw the person behind those few pounds you want to lose, the scars you’ve given yourself, the past you’re somehow ashamed of. But you’re so much more than that, what you’re focused on is merely the beautiful shell surrounding you. I want you to see all the worth that you’re made of. I wish I could take away all of your hurt. I wish your view of yourself was tinted through the lens of love because love is all I’ve ever wanted for you.

I know you’re hurting, but your hurt doesn’t need to take away for how worthy you truly are. Sometimes I sit here wondering how you don’t see it. Why can’t you see what you mean to me? Why can’t you see all that you’ve overcome? Why can’t you see why the world needs you in it? I guess I understand where you’re coming from, but someday you’ll see how much you’ve grown. One day you’ll understand that your past doesn’t have to negatively define you. You’ll realize that you’re more worthy than the hurt that others have given to you and that you have given to yourself.

I see so much in you, please don’t give up. I see you flourishing in who you need to be. Your past is there, but you’re growing from it gracefully, more than you know. One day, you’ll see how worthy you really are. I’ll be waiting. 

This letter is to me. This letter is for all the girls who have been hurt and who have hurt themselves. This letter is for all of the girls who haven’t found themselves yet. This letter is for all the girls who are learning to love themselves. This letter is to all of the girls who are flourishing but don’t realize it yet. You are worth so much more than you know.   

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July
Darielis is a senior at Wells College, majoring in Sociology and Anthropology with a minor in Communication Studies. She usually can't go mornings without at least one cup of Café Bustelo. She is also often found dedicating time to Her Campus at Wells as the Co-Campus Correspondent. Ideally, in the future she would be a travel blogger, an investigative journalist, a freelance writer or perhaps all of the above. Hobbies include Netflix binges, reading horoscopes, and yoga.