This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Just when it couldn’t get any worse; your midterm has fallen on Friday the 13th! It’s bad enough that you have reoccurring dreams about sleeping through your examinations, failing, or worse- showing up without pants on. (Ah!) Superstitious or not, having a midterm on Friday the 13th will have you feeling a little unlucky. Fear not! We have the tips you need to get you the grades you want …and desperately need.

1. Wake up on the right side of the bed

Everyone knows the saying about ”waking up on the wrong side of the bed.” There’s a simple solution in order to avoid this; get a good’s night sleep. Turn off the lights, turn down the heat, and put down your electronics. Don’t forget to hydrate and moisturize. These steps are a major help in avoiding to look like you’ve been in a train wreck when you wake up the next day.  No one really knows what the wrong side of the bed is, but follow these tips and you will never have to find out!

2. Put a four-leaf clover in your bag  

Four-leaf clover, four-page cheat sheet– same thing! Gather your notes and compress them into a smaller, more compact cheat sheet. This helps for last minute studying and can help the material stay fresh in your mind. Whether it’s on the bus, in your room, or in the shower (Hey, why not!), having a cheat sheet is the ideal way to learn 500 pages worth of content in a matter of weeks… or days. After all, is it really worth it to be searching for a four-leaf clover when you can be searching for knowledge?   

3.  Avoid Black Cats

Especially if you see them on the street! They pass on contagious diseases (and scars) that can prevent you from writing your midterm. Although that may not totally be a bad thing, it is not something you should consider doing. Instead, stop by the SLC and check out  Fed’s various stress prevention programs. Every semester, National Service Dogs stop by and generously allow students to receive some puppy love. Pet them, hug them, cry on them, let it out! Besides, it’s easier with dogs anyways. How much sass can one take from their pet cat?

4. Don’t Break Your Mirror

Do use it to check yourself out, though. Have you worn those sweatpants longer than the socially acceptable time period? Has it become obvious that you’re in dire need to do laundry? Is that stain from the pizza you had two days ago? Ask yourselves these questions and think, do I really want to go into the midterm looking like this. Take a shower, put on a fresh, new outfit and give that mirror the reflection it deserves! Chances are, if you look good, you feel good. The confidence you get from this can help you answer those midterm questions with more positivity. Plus, Jimmy will still think you’re cute.

5. Cross Your Fingers

Okay, if you decide to skip all the other tips, try this step. Because if you don’t know the answer to that multiple choice question by now, you’re never going to know it. So, save yourself some time, cross your fingers, and pick one!

Don’t worry readers, midterms will come to an end one day. And when it does, you’ll look back at these tips and think; hey, they’re actually kind of funny. But if all else fails, just wear some garlic around your neck and hope your professor is a vampire. (Warning: wear at your own discretion.) Good luck, Warriors!

Tasnia is currently a student at the University of Waterloo in the Honours Rhetoric and Professional Writing Coop Program. With an interest in journalism and the communication industry, her passions include reading, writing, and watching commercials on YouTube. Follow her on twitter @tasnia_n! 
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!