Waterloo Events in September

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Looking for ways to enjoy this last bit of warm(ish) weather before Winter? Look no further! Here is a list of some September events both at UW and in the community.

FOR THE BEER & FOOD LOVERS:

For all of those that love local food and craft beer, look no further! Here are just a few coming up:

Event Name: Pop-up Beer Garden

(hosted by the David Johnston Research + Technology Park, University of Waterloo)

Location: 375 Hagey Blvd., Waterloo

Date & Time: September 15th @ 2pm – 6pm

Tickets: N/A

Description: Looking for something exciting to finish the work week? Come out to the David Johnston Research + Technology Park Pop-Up Beer Garden on September 15th for drinks and food in the parking lot at 375 Hagey Blvd.  – Come grab a pint with Block Three Brewing and some delicious grub from our awesome food truk partners! #RTParkLife

Click here for more info

Event Name: Hold the Line Festival

Location: St Jacob’s

Date & Time: September 16th   9am – 11pm

Tickets: $20

Description: On September 16th, join us for a day of cycling, music, local food, craft beverages, workshops… – a day full of fun and activities showcasing what makes our community #wrawesome!

The event includes: – cyclists riding the 120 km perimeter of the County Boundary Line (we will also have a shorter course option);  – maker craft, art, and sports workshops;  – performances by local artists and musicians (as well as an after–  – concert dance party & campfire – weather permitting!);  – healthy local foods, beverages, and craft beers; and  – optional camping. With a pancake breakfast, of course.

Click here for more info

Event Name: Food Truck Jam

Location: Civic Centre Park (Kitchener)

Date & Time: September 17th @ 12pm – 7pm

Tickets: Free Admission

Description: Formerly known as the Outlaw Food Truck Picnic, we’re back with a new name and tons of family fun on Sunday September 17th! We’ve got 12 awesome food trucks, a licensed area, amazing performances by School of Rock and really cool activities for the kids – it’s a great way to spend a Sunday :D We’re also thrilled to announce that this year we are partnering with St.Mary’s Hospital Foundation. There will be a few ways to donate on-site, if you are interested. Join us in the park between KPL and KWAG for the 2017 Food Truck FAM JAM!

Click here for more info

FOR THE DANCE LOVERS:

For all of those who to love a break a move or want to try out a new type of dance check out these upcoming events:

Event Name: Social Swing Dance

Location: Hepcat Swing

Date & Time: September 18th @ 8pm – 11pm

Tickets: $9

Description: Starting with a FREE introductory lesson, followed by DJ’d music to practice to, this is our regular Monday night’s excitement! Come join us for FREE if it is your first time, or if you bring a new person, you BOTH get in free! FREE INTRO LESSON 8:30 pm

Click here for more info

Event Name: OVOXO

Location: The Bombshelter Pub

Date & Time: September 20th @ 10pm – 12am

Tickets: To Be Announced  

Description: When a music label has this much talent, it’s hard not to make a Bomber Wednesday all about it. Live for the nights you won’t remember with the friends you won’t forget.

Click here for the info!

Event Name: FEVER: The Annual Throwback Jam by BASE

Location: The Bombshelter Pub

Date & Time: September 21st @ 10pm – 2am

Tickets: $10

Description: FEVER IN THE MORNING, FEVER ALL THROUGH THE NIIIIGHT! And this is the one event that just keeps getting hotter and HOTTER!! It’s finally that time of the year again when we at UW BASE throw the LIVEST, HOTTEST and SEXIEST annual party on the UW calendar. Ain’t nothing but a BASE thing, Bay beh! Come through for THE throwback jam of the year hosted by yours truly, UW BASE on September 21, 10:00PM to 2:00AM at The BOMBSHELTER PUB at the University of Waterloo. DJ STABENA will be spinning everything from Hip-Hop, R&B, Dancehall, Reggae, Afrobeat, and Top 40/ Party Anthems. She’s down to give us the perfect blend of oldschool meets newschool so this is not an event you want to miss. BRING YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR WICKEDEST WINE !!! Come out all retro-swagged and don’t be afraid to turn up the heat! We got the 19+ SECTION at the bar and the dance floor will be ALL AGES so don’t worry first years, we’ve got some special things in store for you! Optional Dress Code: OLD-SCHOOL! Come out all retro-swagged and don’t be afraid to turn up the heat. There will be a prize for Best Dressed!

Click here for more info

Event Name: Baka X OVO X Brixton (19+)

Location: Brixton Social

Date & Time: September 23rd @ 10pm – 2:30am

Tickets: $20 Cover

Description: Join us and OVO’s very own Baka Not Nice while he performs his smash hit Live Up To My Name and turns up with us all night. A night presented by Hennessy with some Very Special presentations and maybe even a surprise or two. This will be the BIGGEST event in Brixton Socials history so arrive early and DO NOT miss this party!!!

Click here for more info

FOR THE UNIVERSITY LIFE LOVERS:

There are SO many ways to get involved on campus and with the community. Below are a few events on ways to get inovolved!

Event Name: Campus Life Fair: Get Involved Week

Location: SLC

Date & Time: September 20th @ 11am – 2pm

Tickets: Free

Description: Come out to the Campus Life Fair in the SLC Great Hall to make some meaningful connections with amazing campus partners and learn about the various opportunities available to get some experience in areas that interest you.

Click here for more info 

Event Name: Clubs & Societies Day: Get Involved Week

Location: SLC

Date & Time: September 21st & September 22nd

Tickets: Free

Description: Looking to get more involved this fall term? Check out Clubs & Societies Day: it’s the perfect place to search out the perfect opportunity! Our clubs host a number of amazing opportunities to get involved so we’re gathering them all together in the SLC Great Hall & MPR to make it easy to find the best fit for you.

Click here for more info

Event Name: 2017 UW Squash Tournament

Location: PAC on campus

Date & Time: September 23rd @ 9am – 6pm

Tickets: $20

Description: The UW Fall Open Squash Tournament is here again! The tournament is open to everyone. See details below: Categories: A – Experienced, B – Intermediate, C – Beginner  3 matches guaranteed Start Times: Earliest start time is 9AM. Individual times will be sent out by Thursday September 21. If you require a late start time please leave a comment when you register.

Click here for more info

Event Name: Fall Recruitment 2017 – Ideas Start with AOII

Location: TBA

Date & Time: September 24th @ 4:30pm – 6pm

Tickets: Free

Description: The Women of Lambda Epsilon Invite you to our First Fall 2017 Recruitment Event!  Ideas Start with AOII Focuses on Education!  We can’t wait to meet you :)

Click here for more info

Event Name: Sigma Lambda Gamma Presents: Destination: Sisterhood

Location: 303 Westcourt Pl

Date & Time: September 24th @ 2:30pm – 4pm

Tickets: Free

Description: Come out and meet the sisters of Sigma Lambda Gamma. Find out what being a part of a local soroitiy and being a part of the Waterloo community means to us!  We’d love to hear what Waterloo means to you as well! 

Click here for more info

FOR THE WATERLOO COMMUNITY LOVERS:

For all of you who want to see more of the Waterloo community and check out different events/associations below are a list of some fun events and activities!

Event Name: Monday Night Trivia

Location: Games on Tap Board Game Cafe

Tickets: Free Admission

Description: General Knowledge Trivia. Teams of up to 5 compete. $25 GOT Gift Card prize for the winners. Email to reserve.

Click here for more info

Event Name: Waterloo Paint Night

Location: St. Louis Bar & Grill

Date & Time: September 18th @ 7pm – 9pm

Tickets: $45 — use code PAINT25 to save $20

Description: Paint and Cocktails – Paint Night For Grown Ups! Painting Party! No Experience Required! True Story!  Join us at St. Louis Bar & Grill in Waterloo, for a painting night where you and your friends get to enjoy sipping some wine, or downing a pint while picking up a brush!  A 2-hour fun paint night evening with our artist who will guide you through step by step, from start to finished painting that you get to take home. All of the equipment is included! 16×20″ canvas, brushes, apron, acrylic paint and easel. A great relaxed & creative night out! Perfect for the “Girls Night”, “Date Night” or office get together! We call it “Fun Art – Not Fine Art!”

Click here for more info

Event Name: Kitchener Rangers Express

Location: Chill Bar & Grill

Date & Time: September 22nd @ 6:45pm

Tickets: Free

Description: The Rangers Express Bus is back for another season!!!! Why figure out parking, who’s driving etc…..  Come in starting at 5pm and grab a ticket from your server or bartender and have some food or drinks and be worry free!!!  Tickets are first come first serve and we will let you know when it’s arrived!  Bus always leaves 45 mins before game time and your car is safe with us while your gone

Go Kitchener Rangers!

Click here for more info

Event Name: Uptown North Fall Fair

Location: Peppler St

Date & Time: September 23rd @ 3pm – 5pm

Tickets: Free

Description: Come gather on Peppler St. (between Young & Elgin St.) to share in a “Fall Fair” themed street party. The road will be closed to traffic so we can gather to celebrate the beauty of fall and our community in a safe place. Rain or Shine!

Click here for more info

Event Name: EGSA Tailgate BBQ and Football Game

Location: EGSA – Waterloo’s Environment Graduate Students Association

Date & Time: September 23rd @ 11am – 4pm

Tickets: Free

Description: On September 23, the Waterloo Warriors football team takes on the Laurier Goldenhawks in the Battle of Waterloo! Let’s show some UW Pride and cheer them on! The EGSA will be hosting a tailgate BBQ with FREE hot dogs (vegetarian and gluten free options will be provided as well) prior to the game (address of the BBQ to be announced) and then we will all be taking the bus to the game. Be sure to bring your WatCard and wear your black and gold! In order to ensure we have enough food, please RSVP if you plan to attend.

Click here for more info

FOR THE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT LOVERS:

For those looking to amp up their resume here are two cool different events! Be sure to check out workshops, events, and clubs on campus too!!

Event Name: Geek Week WR

Location: Waterloo

Date & Time: September 15th @ 9am – September 22nd @ 11:45pm

Tickets: Varies

Description:

CALLING ALL GEEKS AND NERDS

Geek Week is an opportunity to come together at every level to showcase our culture of collaboration and innovation: grassroots, academic and institutional. Geek Week aims to raise the profile of Waterloo Region as a premier destination for visitors.

From hackers and makers to movers and shakers, Geek Week invites the world to Waterloo Region to find out what’s new and what’s next. Visitors can sample the ingredients of Waterloo’s world-class innovation community through a diverse array of events. #GeeksRuleWR

Click here for more info

Event Name: What Can YOUth Do 2017  

Location: Centre for International Governance Innovation

Date & Time: September 20th @ 5pm – 9pm

Tickets: $10

Description: WCYD is excited to bring you an evening of exploration and knowledge sharing, as we exhibit Waterloo’s local youth and environmental community. The evening will include a panel of notable speakers, exhibits of local organizations, and a hackathon to put our ideas into action.

Click here for more info

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!