Tips to Eating Healthy During Exam Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Now that classes are over, some of us will lose our daily schedule; late mornings (or afternoons) and even later nights studying for upcoming exams can be difficult to manage. If you’re anything like me, food is super comforting during exam time. This year, I’m taking a few extra steps to prevent my binge-eating cycle that starts during exam time. Despite lack of sleep and hitting the books all day, these tricks can make your life easier and keep you on track!

1. Go grocery shopping on the weekend

Use some time on the weekend to grab any groceries you might need for the week. Make a list so you know exactly what you need before you go in – this avoids buying unnecessary junk in the moment. Also, check the flyers to decide which store to go to!

2. Meal prep on Sundays

Spend a few hours (usually less) on Sunday prepping your food for the week. Put your meals in containers so they’re ready to grab every morning. If you prefer to have more fresh food, you can always freeze your meals and take them out the night before. Or meal prep twice in a week! My go to meal prep is brown rice/quinoa, chicken, and broccoli. For snacks I grab a yogurt and some nuts.  

3. Study on campus

I know finding a spot on campus to study is a pain during exam time – but do it if you can! If you sit at home studying, or if you’re like me and studying in bed, you’re more likely to wander to the kitchen every hour to find something to eat out of boredom. If you pack your food and take it to campus with you, you’ll be forced to eat what you have.

Try these tips out! It can make all the difference and set you up for success. No need to be so hard on yourself during exam time either, Warriors. Enjoy food, too!

Photo Credits: Cover Photo, Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!