This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Over the past 4 years, I found myself adding more commitments to extra-curricular activities. Last term, I capped myself at 8! The reason I’m able to keep up with everything is because I am super nerdy about time management and scheduling. As finals are around the corner (and a new term), here are some tips if you find yourself on the same boat!

Decide your priorities

I always put my academic work first and then determine what else I can manage. I like to start with a calendar for every month of the term, and place in the permanent deadlines (midterms, tests, quizzes, assignments etc.).

Look at your schedule

I like to put everything into my iCloud calendar so it syncs across my devices. Each commitment has a different colour. I use this schedule to determine which days I have enough time to complete tasks or do social things!

Make a plan

Personally, I like to focus on one course per day. For example, if one of my classes has weekly readings, I would look at my schedule and notice that Wednesdays are free. I will now complete my readings every Wednesday. Then, I work backwards to make sure I schedule enough days to prepare for those permanent deadlines.

Stick with the plan

I have visual reminders of what tasks need to get done everywhere I go! Below is an example of what a wall near my desk looks like. I have a similar weekly list and monthly calendar on my laptop for on-the-go work.

Be flexible

Sometimes things don’t work out. An assignment one week may take longer than it usually does, you might have an emergency meeting for a club – life happens. Give yourself a cushion so you can be resilient and bounce back. I try to keep my weekends free for just this reason!

Lastly, make sure you’re having fun and taking time out to take care of yourself too. Your wellbeing is most important!

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!