This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

My first semester in uni: I absolutely do not wish it upon anyone. Everyone says it will be the best time of your life, but when you’re in a STEM program, it feels like you’re walking on stilts. I was always stressed, which was not very healthy for me. I would grab 3000 library snacks and call that a well-rounded dinner. This was when I decided to turn to cooking!

I started cooking a bit into my first term after finishing my midterms (yes, another horrific moment, but I digress). I kept going out or eating at the library, and I felt like I was a living robot. My family recommended that I learn new habits to keep my mind off things. Cooking became a messy and expensive habit, but I absolutely loved it. I started off slowly by buying some bagels to have for breakfast, and eventually, it turned into a master list of meal plans.

That’s the other thing. Meal planning saves the university experience. Having healthy meals ready on the go made me feel less stressed throughout the day and more confident in myself. I recommend making a big pasta pan as it’s easy to stuff protein and veggies into it without having it taste like, well, veggies and protein. If it makes you feel good, it’ll be good for you — don’t listen to Brad, the gym fanatic!

I’ve also built so many good connections through cooking. My roommates and I have started doing Sunday cooking nights where we all meal prep and make dessert for the whole building. Recently, we’ve made birthday cakes, brownies and gooey cookies. Everyone now looks forward to the Sunday nights when all of us can unwind and indulge before the new week starts.

Most importantly, I cannot emphasize how much cooking has helped my mental health. I feel more organized throughout the day because I don’t have to waste time in the long cafeteria lines. I’m also feeding my body with fuel, rather than food that would make me feel groggy and unmotivated. I’m not going to keep making a cheesy ramble on how it changed my path, but I think the girlies should seriously try it. Start off slow, and then keep on building that knowledge! Best of luck in the kitchen!

Vanessa Duong

Waterloo '27

Hi there! My name is Vanessa and I'm in Health Sciences at the University of Waterloo. I love cooking, rambling, and am an advocate for mental wellbeing.