This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Sunday resetting is how I get myself back on track for the week to come. A reset means a total flip of the week. I pack my schedule pretty full during the week, making taking care of myself pretty hard if I don’t have a set time and place to do so. To make my Sunday reset a true break day, I make it a priority to grind out all of my school work so that it’s done Saturday night. I know it’s hard to take a full day away from school, but I take my mental health seriously, and this is one way that I ensure that it is kept up! Here’s how it works:

Step 1: Self-care and Reflect

I tend to wake up extra early on Sunday mornings to start the day off right and to fill it with as many healing activities as possible. Depending on when I wake up, I’ll spend 10-15 minutes reflecting on the week I had and finding areas I can work on for the week to come. This way, I’m constantly self-improving myself for the better.

The self-care aspect also occurs in the morning. I either go to the gym or go for a walk around the university campus until I feel energized. Then I go back to my residence, take a quick shower, and then step 2 of Sunday reset begins!

Step 2: Clean up 

I don’t know about you, but living alone can be hard sometimes! You have to worry about all of the little things like throwing out the trash, putting dishes away, meal prepping etc. With the amount of schoolwork I have sometimes, it seems rather impossible to keep up with anything. So this is why I set up this routine. After I shower, I get all the cleaning supplies out and do a full clean-out of my room and kitchen area. There are so many things that go unseen when you’re hustling and bustling. Clean all of the little corners, and make sure you make yourself a healthy environment! I genuinely believe in ‘clean space, clean mind’. Whenever I miss out on a Sunday reset, I feel like I’m out of whack and that I can’t seem to focus on one thing or have a productive week. I also take time in the afternoon to do laundry and meal prep so I’m fully ready for the upcoming days. 

Step 3: Treat yourself

Finally, I find it so fulfilling to treat yourself after any week. No matter if you did everything on your plan or not, reward yourself for making it through. I normally get myself flowers or bubble tea depending on how the funds are looking. I set aside money to do this so I’m able to re-center myself and have something to enjoy. Celebrate the small wins that come by in your life, as you are deserving of all good that comes to you lovely!

With all that being said, I am a person who lives in routine so making all of my Sundays as a day I can fully relax and be away from the cycle heals everything in me. If you’re in a slump or are feeling like the next couple of days will be busy, consider doing a reset. It has helped me immensely with all aspects of my life including mental health, self-care, productivity, and organization!

Vanessa Duong

Waterloo '27

Hi there! My name is Vanessa and I'm in Health Sciences at the University of Waterloo. I love cooking, rambling, and am an advocate for mental wellbeing.