This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It may be end of term but it isn’t too late to start anew. As the seasons change, you can too.

Here are 5 tips to starting over despite the term ending.

1. Take a break from social media.

Social media is crafted to produce an image that people want to see. If you want true and genuine happiness, forget the gram for a little. It’ll help you with the unhealthy comparisons you may be making with body image, perfection, and greed.

Instead, do something you love that you have neglected because of scrolling. Bring out the books, the paint, or the running shoes. The weather will soon be warm enough to get outside the house without two layers.

By taking a break, you also get to rest your eyes an hour before bed. This is important for your eyesight!

2. Learn to say no.

It is always a regret to have too much to do with so little time. If you find yourself unable to manage a schedule, it is not a sign of failure. It is a sign that you are human and need rest. You can be successful without the many titles.

3. Do your best with what you have.

Do you have a “small” role in a club? Learn to stand out from there! Offer to help grow the audience. Use skills already in your repertoire to produce amazing accomplishments for the whole team.

4. Create connections.

Recently, I was able to attend the Faculty of Environment’s Leadership Series Networking event and it was eye-opening. Instead of learning the same materials on what employers are assumably looking for in the hiring process, I received first hand knowledge from people in those positions.

Look to current and past teachers for advice and genuine human connection. They will in turn be able to write letters of recommendation for you as you will have created substantial evidence of personability.  

Start a coffee date system with people you miss. Haven’t seen a friend since before midterms? Invite them to bubble tea or the year end socials!

5. The ever famous Marie Kondo method.

You’ve heard it everywhere but a clean space can only do you good. Change it up by being green about it! Where can you donate or giveaway what no longer makes you happy?

You can also apply it to life! Can you do that with some relationships? Are you able to repair anything, friendships and items alike, that will help them bring you joy again?

Create a platform for continuous growth and you will only have yourself to thank.

Learn from others then thank them as well. This is an important skill to navigating the rough currents of life.

A second-year in Environment, Resources, and Sustainability. Looking to grow wings.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!