Six Things You Go Through When You Have A Concussion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Disclaimer: If you, or anyone you know is ever unsure about having a concussion, be sure to seek professional medical advice.

Concussions are not typically a regular thought during university. There are exams to stress over, and extracurriculars to obsess about, but one never really factors in a concussion. This past October, I was lucky enough to be nailed in the head in soccer, and finally took into account just how crazy concussions can be. These are the six strange things I experienced:

1. Realizing your head is not in fact made of concrete (like your former invincible teenage self would have anticipated).

Whether you were hit with a soccer ball or somehow managed to walk into a metal pole, you’re in for a not-so-pleasant surprise.

2. Trying to determine whether or not you are actually concussed.

Am I concussed, or was I always this tired? Did bright lights always feel this way? Whether you are certain of an injury or positive you’re fine, it is always best to be checked out by a doctor.

3. Confusion about being confused.

Did I always forget this much? What happens if I start forgetting that I’m forgetting things? Concussions can really mess with the memory bank.

4. The constant need for sleep.

Every now and then, there are tough things or long nights that can change anyone’s aspirations to that of a cozy blanket burrito. Although it is recommended not to fall asleep right after being hit in the head, rest is the only way to really aid a concussion.

5. No screens and that means NO phone.

In a day in age where Netflix is the big go-to and texting is one of the main forms of communication, not being able to look at a screen is really difficult. However, this screen-free time really helps the healing process.

6. Slowly getting back into the school routine and sports.

It’s really important to take as much time to heal, as necessary, after any type of brain injury. Minor concussions are no exception. Brain injuries can have long lasting effects, and should be taken seriously. However, once your symptoms have passed, it is important to get back into a routine to also aid the transition back to regular school, work, and sports

Shannon Bradley is a third-year English major at the University of Waterloo. Her life motto is 'view everything as a learning experience'. Shannon is a tea enthusiast, and Zumba junkie. She is also passionate about creative writing, and started http://broadlyshan.blogspot.ca/.
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!