An interview with the UW Women’s Centre: The Centre’s History, Values, Resources & Upcoming Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The Women’s Centre Service Coordinators Kaleigh Campbell & Viven Pham took some time to chat with us about UW’S Women’s Centre for International Women’s Week!

1.  Tell us about the current UW Women’s Centre Executive Team, the team’s vision & goals.

In adherence with our core values and objectives, the UW Women’s Centre Executive Team continues to strive towards the goal of providing students with resources, including peer support, menstrual products, and safe space on campus. Furthermore, our Executive Team has the vision of establishing a campus that comprehends feminism from an intersectional perspective and provides an inclusive and safe space for all students.

2.   What does the UW Women’s Centre stand for and what are your core values?

The Women’s Centre aims to provide a female-positive and supportive environment on campus for women and trans folks. In pursuit of this, the Women’s Centre advocates for an intersectional feminist, sex-positive, body-positive, and pro-choice organization.

3.  Tell us a little bit about the history of the Women’s Centre at Waterloo.

The Women’s Centre at the University of Waterloo was opened in 1981 in response to government requirements that emphasized the necessities of social change on campuses throughout Canada. Since the Center opened, they have been providing services and resources to a broad demographic of students, as well as providing a safe space with peer support volunteers.

4.   What services and resources does the Women’s Centre offer?

In terms of services and resources, the Women’s Centre offers free menstrual products, pregnancy tests, and condoms to students, as well as provides peer support Monday-Friday from 9:00am-6:00pm. Furthermore, the Centre is equipped with countless informational resources for both on-campus and off-campus services to support the health and wellbeing of students.

5.   How are women’s rights valued and fostered here at the University of Waterloo?

Here at the University of Waterloo, the rights of women are valued and fostered through numerous and diverse means. Amongst these means is the Women’s Centre, as well as the broader campus support for the United Nations HeForShe Campaign which continues to be a predominant focus for President Hamdullahpur. Furthermore, the current dedication to revise and ameliorate Policy 42 – Prevention and Response to Sexual Violence, represents the University’s desire to foster the rights of all of those who have endured sexual violence extending beyond the confines of gender binaries. Albeit the value of the current fostering of women’s rights at the University of Waterloo, it is fundamental that we as students continue to advocate for those all of those individuals who are marginalized or discriminated against both on and off campus.

Tell us more about International Women’s Week events.

This International Women’s Week, the Women’s Centre will be hosting an event each day from March 4th – March 8th. We encourage those who are interested in attending events to visit the Women’s Centre Facebook for more information. The following list encompasses the events that the Centre will be hosting during International Women’s Week:

Monday, March 4th: What is International Women’s Day? A Discussion & Trivia Night

Tuesday, March 5th: Let’s Have Sex(Ed)

Wednesday, March 6th: Women in Art

Thursday, March 7th: Body Politics Panel

Friday, March 8th: Bust Casting

Check out their website to learn more!

Hey, there! I am a 4th year Honours Psychology and Economics student at the University of Waterloo. I love watching movies, cooking and photography.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!