This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Did you know the University of Waterloo has over 200 clubs? And as the school celebrates more anniversaries, that that number keeps increasing?! I know, that’s a huge number! It’s hard to believe anyone would want to join anything outside of Her Campus! (Kidding! All clubs are great!)

Every term, clubs day takes centre stage in the SLC Great Hall and each organization is given the opportunity to show off and recruit. Did you know we have a cheese club? Forget the cheese club. DID YOU KNOW WE HAVE A LETTUCE CLUB?

Wild.

Last year, I discovered a new (to me) club called Fashion for Change. I was only part of Her Campus at the time, and I felt confident in trying something new! So, I asked some of the current members at the time for more information about the club and I found out it was associated with WE charity.

Here’s the definition of WE charity from Wikipedia for a bit of background information:

“WE Charity, formerly known as Free The Children, is a worldwide development charity and youth empowerment movement founded in 1995 by human rights advocates Marc and Craig Kielburger.”

I’d heard of this charity before under their old name, Free the Children, because my high school had adopted a village through them to run fundraisers for. This got my immediate attention when I heard that FC was also involved.

I learned that Fashion for Change hosts many events throughout the Fall and Winter term to try to raise money and promote the final event: one big fashion show! It’s traditionally held near the end of March in the humanities theatre on Waterloo campus, and this year is no exception.

I normally attend every event throughout the year to show support. By far, my two favourites are the Holiday Showcase and the Theme Release Party.

The Holiday Showcase has already passed this year, but some entertainment we always have set up are bake sales, pictures with Santa and performances done by various dance groups and singers. I say it’s definitely something I look forward to in December when things are getting overwhelming with school.

The Theme Release Party, unlike the previous event, has yet to take place. I’m very excited to attend this year, even though our tradition of booking Bomber had to be changed. The team handled it so well and managed to get WILFs on Laurier campus next Friday! Theme Release has a semi formal dress code which is always something in any event I look forward to attending because of the fun that comes with putting on my favourite heels. I was also able to attend before I turned 19 a few years ago because it’s an all ages event! (Not dry though, don’t worry 19+ party goers!)

The reason we have this party every year is because the Board of Directors keep the Theme a secret until halfway through the FC year and it’s a great way to let people know about the show happening in March. I think the show and the club is such a good thing to be a part of because it has a really wonderful goal that we follow through on every year.

Fashion for Change donate proceeds made to WE charity every year after all the events are finished. The donation money raised goes to our adopted village in Sierra Leone called Moyamba. The fact that I get to help, even just a little is the reason I keep coming back to the club. Everyone needs a helping hand sometimes, and I’m so glad I can metaphorically extend mine to make these people’s lives just a little bit better.

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!