How to Stay Calm During the Exam Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Sometimes it’s hard to stay level-headed during the ever-stressful exam period. It’s totally normal to stress out! But hopefully, with these tips, you might be a little calmer going into your exams.

Exam period is upon us.

Here are some pointers in staying as cool as cucumber during this stressful time.

1. Start studying early.

Now, if you’re reading this two months prior to your exam, early might be a little extreme. Don’t start studying too soon, because you might start losing focus quickly and lose all motivation to study a week before the exam, which is not what we want. Instead, estimate how much time you need for each subjects. Biology not your hardest course? Well, then maybe you can spend more time on Calculus instead. Figure out what works for you, but make sure to give yourself enough time to fit in “lazy” days and avoid last-minute cramming at all costs (I know, I know, easier said than done, but trying is key here).

2. Sleep more.

When you can barely utter “I’m so tired” forty-two times a day, don’t reach for your coffee mug–reach for your pillow instead. Before you open your mouth to spout excuses like “but I’m not done X, Y and Z and they’re due in four hours,” I answer: a minimum of 30% of your awake-time should be spent sleeping. For the people like me that wouldn’t have bothered doing the math, it means that if you were planning on spending 24 hours awake (aka A WHOLE DAY), then you should be spending 7 hours sleeping. 7.2 hours to be precise. Please get more sleep. Sleep helps your memory more than you can ever imagine, and it’s a nice break from studying if it really comes down to that.

3. Exercise.

Maybe I’ve just lost about 10 readers, but I SWEAR exercise helps. Won’t believe that unless there’s science involved? Well, I challenge you to read how exercise helps reduce anxiety and stress here and how it can even help you improve your memory, from a fancy Harvard Health Publications article here. Not only is exercise healthy and beneficial, but you can incorporate it into your studying easily. My Econ teacher used to make us do wall sits to answer definition questions, and another would make us do 5 push-ups for any wrong answer. Create your own punishing studying schedule. Not only will you be studying, but your body will thank you later.

4. Do everything to avoid getting sick.

Once again, I know it’s easier said than done but the last thing you want during an exam, or even while studying is to get sick. This means washing your hands more often, making sure to sneeze in your elbow please, to maybe stay away from that one friend who has the flu and who coughs in your face when you’re hanging out with them (maybe send them a “feel better, I’ll see you in two weeks” letter to make them feel better), or simply stocking up on those vitamin C supplements. And once you feel the trickle of a cough or the slightest congestion in your nose, hydrate hydrate hydrate, sleep like you haven’t slept in four days (which is probably true if you’re not paying attention to tip #3), eat greens and take it easy to help your body fight diseases. Which leads us to…

5. Eat healthy.

Yes I know, you “don’t like salad” or “ew, mushroom are gross.” Well, sucks to suck buttercup. Not only should healthy eating be an essential part of your life, but it helps fight against common colds, helps you feel better about your body and possibly make you feel better about the drunken decision you made to eat those thirteen slices last night. Leafy greens in particular hold vitamins that are mucho importante to your body. I’m not saying you can’t eat fries with your lettuce, and have those three cupcakes for dessert. I’m just saying to eat your vegetables beforehand. That’s all. I swear. Mom’s out.

6. Ask for help if you need it.

Whether this is about your mental or physical health, your academics, your relationship with your cat, your sudden craving for pickles, or just because you need to talk to someone – help is always there for you if you need it. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help. In terms of studying for your exams, ask a friend who loves explaining the second law of thermodynamics for help in physics. Find someone to help you create a studying schedule or organizing your desk if that’s what you need help with. Look for someone to rant (healthily please) about how stressed you are for the exams. Then go for a cookie and get back to work. Go see your professor or your TAs during their office hours if you don’t understand a concept. Just make sure you’ve gotten all the help you need before writing your exam.

And finally….

7. Keep in mind that your grades don’t define you.

Yes, some of you will mock me for writing this last point down. “It’s cliché,” you’ll say, or even, “how unoriginal.” Your marks don’t define you because a) they don’t take into account your amazing personality or any skills-slash-talents you have and can’t demonstrate on your exam; b) some of us don’t test well but that doesn’t mean that we don’t understand the concepts and ideas, and finally; c) if they wrote our final GPA mark on our diploma, I assure you not many of us would hang it up on a wall. It’s great to want to do well on a test or an exam and show off what we’ve learned, but it’s not healthy to become obsessed with our grades.

With that in mind, good luck on your exams and stay calm!!

Originally born in France, Solène now studies at the University of Waterloo in the program of Knowledge Integration. Determined to read every book on the planet and to finally finish a whole TV series, she aspires to find joy in everyday life and to hone her writing skills. Food lover as well as musician, she plays the flute, the piano, and just recently started playing the ukulele. Solène is above all determined to find her passion in life and loves to explore the world, dreaming to travel across the globe.
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!