Life > Experiences

How I learned to Love my Body Through Pole Dancing: Spoiler Alert, I Didn’t Lose Weight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I’ve never been the most athletic person. I’m the kind of girl who cut corners during high school laps when the teacher wasn’t looking. During the brief time I had a gym membership, I was terrified to go, convinced that I’d become the center of the gym’s laughter, as I struggled to lift the bar (silly, I know). I attempted running a couple of times, but it turns out I’m not super motivated to do that unless there’s something I’m fleeing. I genuinely tried to be more active, but I just didn’t know how to do it in a way I would enjoy.

More importantly, I wanted to look in the mirror and love what I saw, and I thought exercise was the key. Actually, I thought losing weight was the key and figured exercise would get me there. 

In April 2023, I was fresh out of ideas, and as a hail mary, I signed up for pole dancing classes at a local studio in Waterloo called Brass Butterflies. I had no dance experience and couldn’t even do a push-up, but I figured why not do it for the plot? 

In my first few weeks, I learned the fireman spin, mermaid spin, fun combos, and some conditioning. I was always excited to go to class, which was super unusual for me. It’s not like pole dancing was easy, nor did I have some natural ability and had found my calling (actually, it did not come naturally at all; I swear I have two left feet). I started to think this pole studio must be magical and had put me under some kind of pro-workout spell.

Photos of me at my pole dancing classes - fully clothed
Original photo by Willow Carmount

In hindsight, I loved coming because the studio had the best vibes — I felt like I belonged. Within the first couple of weeks, the staff knew my name and seemed even more invested in my progress than I was.

The first time I ever climbed the pole was during an open session (meaning you can practice whatever you want). I got into position, made my first pull-up, and then another. Suddenly I heard clapping and shouting. Some staff who knew I had been working towards this for a while, and other people in the room I hadn’t even met were cheering me on. This overwhelming encouragement gave me the push to pull up one more time and climb the highest I had ever gotten. For everyone else that probably seemed like just another Tuesday at the studio, but as a previously unathletic girlie,  I felt on top of the world (in reality I was barely on top of the pole — I only made it most of the way up, but that was still a big deal for me)!

Picture of me pole dancing, fully clothed
Original photo by Willow Carmount

I’m six months into pole now, and as the title says, I haven’t lost any wild amount of weight nor am I suddenly shaped like Kim Kardashian. I’m okay with that now though. Before I started pole I used to look at myself in the mirror while pinching my tummy fat and cursing the fact that pasta isn’t a low-calorie option. In all seriousness, I hated what I saw. Now when I look in the mirror, I realize that same tummy fat is part of the body strong enough to hold itself up on a pole and nail a backspin, so it must be pretty hot. 

Willow Carmount

Waterloo '24

Willow is a fourth year student studying business and peace studies. In her free time she enjoys writing poetry, thrifting, pole dancing, checking out a new coffee shop, and playing Magic The Gathering.