Canadian Winter for Students from Hot Climates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

1. Too Cold!

Coming from a hot climate and facing a shock temperature drop is astounding! One can only try living in -25℃ weather for a good month. But it is possible especially if you live in Canada!

2. Black Ice?

Slipping on regular ice is bad enough, but welcome to a place with black ice. As an international student in Canada, one has to slip on black ice as a tradition. Almost invisible to the human eye, this ice isn’t any ordinary ice but one that makes one fall, hard.

3. So Much Snow!

The snow allows for us to make snow angels and snowmen but for international students the struggle of walking to class in snow is not very fun for them. Snow being the beautiful but harsh part of winter, tries its best to stop one from getting to class in a peaceful manner.

4. March Means Spring?

Snow in March is very interesting! In Canada, spring arrives much later than expected, as an international student one is more used to warmth all year long but in Canada they have to live with the cold more than the heat.

5. No Sunshine?

As a Canadian, one lives beneath the clouds more than in the sunshine. One would be lucky to experience the sunshine in the winter. As an international student, one lives in the sun more than beneath clouds. But the sunshine does come and enhance the beauty of winter once in a while in Canada!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Tithi Joshi

Waterloo '22

She is a student at the University of Waterloo in Health Studies. With a passion for medicine, but has a love for writing.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!