This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Yes, it’s still snowy outside, which means that it’s still cuffing season and, like many people, you might be finding yourself trying to swipe right to find that perfect cuddle buddy to get through the rest of the winter! Here are some tips and tricks to get the most out of your Bumble profile.

1. Your Photos

There are a few different ways to get the best out of the photos you post. Make sure your first photo is one of just you, that it’s a really nice photo of just you, and that you’re not wearing a hat or sunglasses or anything else that hides your face. A big no-no with your Bumble profile is the group photos. Sure, you may have looked really hot for your friend’s birthday party but it’s hard for potential matches to distinguish who you are when all your pictures are of you and your friends, so they’ll probably swipe left on your gorgeous self. Another tip is to choose pictures that show who you are! You don’t want to lie about or hide your interests, so pick a photo in which you are playing your favourite sport or doing your favourite hobby to show potential matches just what you’re into!

2. Your Bio

The second thing that potential matches are going to look at after they swipe through your amazing photos is your bio. This is the place where you use actual words to seal the deal with those cuties. Bumble has a 300 character limit on bios, so every word (and emoji) counts. The best bios are ones that show confidence and that you’re engaging. Make sure not to turn your bio into a list of things you like though, because that gets boring real quick. Stick to mentioning the following: your degree, your interests, and maybe something interesting about you to spark a conversation with your future matches!

3. Make the First Move

This is my favourite feature of Bumble, and it’s also the reason why I prefer it over Tinder. Girls have to make the first move up to 24 hours after they match with someone. If you wait too long, your match disappears. From that point, your match has 24 hours, max, to reply to you. After / if they reply, you have all the time in the world. I love this feature because it gets the ball rolling conversation wise, and it also allows women to do something they don’t usually do, which is make the first move. When sending out your first message, try to make it something more than just a “hey!”. You want your first message to make them want to reply back right away, instead of you constantly checking the app to just watch the clock tick down until that cutie is gone forever. It’s usually best to ask a question about something you saw in their profile! This should, hopefully, start a conversation about that topic between you two.

4. Be Safe!

If / when you decide to meet your bumble match, make sure to be safe about it! Meet in a public place and be sure someone knows where you’re going. You could also set up one of your friends to call to check in halfway through, and to have code words for whether the date is going well or horribly. If it ends up becoming a hook up situation, then be conscious of your sexual health and make sure he wears a condom! And remember, you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to! Your safety is your priority after all!

Happy swiping!

Tianna

Waterloo '20

As of 2020, Tianna is a UW alumn who graduated with her BSc in Honours Science, with a minor in Biology and a minor in Music. She can now be found either reading fiction novels, hanging out with friends over coffee or thinking about Christian theology. She continues to blog over at https://theselight-woventhings.blogspot.com/
Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros