absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Baked Chicken and Veggies with Cauliflower Rice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

This is a simple recipe that can be altered depending on your vegetable preferences or whatever is left in the grimy fridge that you share with 4 other roommates.

*Recommended ad-ins are: corn, broccoli, peas, red/green peppers, asparagus etc.  

This recipe substitutes regular rice for cauliflower rice, which is a popular low carb alternative.

Ingredients:

1 package of Green Giant cauliflower rice

2 medium chicken breasts

1 bunch of green beans

2 large carrots

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400F and prepare your chicken on parchment paper and place on a baking tray. Rub the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper or any of your favourite seasonings. Drizzle olive oil on veggies and season with salt and pepper. You can add cayenne for some optional heat.

2. Bake the chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes (longer or shorter depending on your oven) or an internal temperature of 165F. Keep an eye out for the veggies as they can cook faster than the chicken.

3. While the chicken and veggies cook, place the cauliflower rice into a medium sized non-stick pan/skillet and heat on medium for 5 minutes or until hot. Begin this step towards the end of the chicken and veggies cook time so that everything is hot.

Once the cauliflower rice, chicken, and veggies are cooked you can plate them and slice the cooked chicken breast and place on top of the rice.

This recipe goes great with many different sauces such as sweet and sour, teriyaki, and tomato. However, if you are looking for a healthier option, cut out high carb, high sugar sauces and try options like lemon juice and basil.

Photo Credit: Hannah Macdonald

4B Legal Studies and Business student. I enjoy live music and stand-up comedy.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!