nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

All You Need to Know About World Children’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

On November 20th 1989, the UN signed the Convention on the Rights of the Child. The document lists the following as basic rights that every child is entitled to:

• Protection (e.g., from abuse, exploitation and harmful substances)
  • Provision (e.g., for education, health care and an adequate standard of living)
  • Participation (e.g., listening to children’s views and respecting their evolving capacities)
  • Specific protections and provisions for vulnerable populations such as Aboriginal children and children with disabilities

November 20th has since been declared World Children’s Day, to celebrate children worldwide and to mark the signing of this important document.

Unfortunately, many children across the world are being denied education, food, medical care, and safety and shelter. UNICEF has done amazing work to combat these issues, and continues to encourage everyone to raise awareness and donate towards the many problems that children worldwide are faced with everyday.

How you can help

• Share the hashtag #GoBlue on social media and wear blue on November 20th to raise awareness.
  • Sign the UNICEF petition to call on world leaders to commit to fulfilling the rights of children worldwide. The petition will be submitted on November 20th, 2019 – the 30th anniversary of the signing of the Convention of the Rights of the Child.
  • Participate in the fundraiser hosted by UW’s own UNICEF club this November 20th in STC, from 10 AM – 4 PM. They will be selling Timbits at 2 for $1, with all proceeds going towards UNICEF with a focus on gender equality and primary education initiatives. You will also be able to enter a social media contest with a chance to win one of two amazing prizes! And of course, donations are also welcome!

Follow UW UNICEF on Instagram and Facebook for more fundraisers and opportunities to get involved.

I am a Brazilian-Canadian girl addicted to coffee and YA dystopias.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!