alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tips to Get That Summer Body!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Somehow it’s already March and summer is just around the corner! If you’re anything like me, you probably binged a little too much during midterm season. Meal prep, calorie-counting, and a new workout schedule can be overwhelming so here, are some helpful tips to get back on track (or start a new healthy-eating routine) to get that summer body ready.

1. Drop the sodas, juices, lattes, and fraps

The amount of sugar in these drinks is a killer – drink water instead! You can often use up all your daily calories drinking these. While calorie counting can be overwhelming for some, the easiest way to watch your calories is to not drink them. Use these calories more productively and drink water – save the calories for your foods!

If you don’t usually reach for these sugar heavy drinks, awesome! Another sneaky sugary drink is juice – try eliminating the orange juice from your breakfast. Or grab a juicer and squeeze your own orange juice!

2. Control your portions

Without realizing, we often eat double the amount that we’re supposed to. An easy trick to control your portions is to use smaller plates. That way you can fill up the small plate and feel like you’re still eating a lot. Enjoy the foods you like, just in smaller portions! If you go out to eat, pack half up for lunch the following day.

3. Eat at a table

This sounds so simple but almost all of us make this mistake. Make your couch or bed a no eating zone to avoid overeating on that bag of chips. Set your meals to be at the table and stick to it. If you really want those chips, you’ll have to get up off the couch and eat them on the table – and let’s be real, no one is going to do that.

4. Eat your veggies first

Unfortunately, abs are made in the kitchen. Your plate should consist of three things – carbs, protein, and veggies. This can be rice, chicken, and broccoli. Realistically, this most definitely isn’t the case all the time so if you’re having pasta with a side a veggies – eat your veggies first! You’ll most likely begin to feel full after the veggies and won’t end up eating all your pasta.

5. Listen to when you’re body is full

When you feel full – put your fork down! We often end up overeating, especially when we’re watching Netflix while eating. As soon as you feel like you’ve had enough, get up from the table (or put the plate away from your bed if that’s your style) to avoid eating more. It’s better to have a small snack later on at night if you are still hungry.

6. Move

It’s simple. You need to get up and move! Find an activity you like to do. If you don’t like running, don’t do it – seriously. If you find the gym intimidating, there are other things you can do! Dance in your living room or go for a walk after dinner with your friends. Any physical activity is great. All you need is 20 minutes of exercise to start feeling better and energized to get through your days. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, start slow! Take the stairs instead of the elevator, or walk home instead of bussing.

7. Ditch the scale

The scale can often be the thing setting us back and making us feel like no progress has been made. So ditch the scale! Use before/after (progress) pictures and measurements to track your progress. This can be so much more motivating than hoping for a lower number every day. If removing the scale is too much, weigh in weekly or bi-weekly, on the same day right after you wake up and use the washroom.

Summer bodies are made in the winter so don’t wait until May to start! These simple adjustments can add up and really benefit a better and healthier lifestyle.

Sources: Photo 1

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!