This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

While I’m still in disbelief (and denial) about it, spring has sprung, the end of term is near, and final exams are right around the corner. This point in the term is especially overwhelming, and sometimes it can feel like you’re dragging yourself to the finish line, rather than racing over it triumphantly. As a fourth-year student, I’ve been through some rocky points, so I’ve learned some helpful tips over the years on how to handle exam season like a champ! 

It can be a very stressful time, but I’ve found that doing each of the following really helps me to keep my head on straight and wrap-up the term strongly:

1. Stay organized

I cannot stress this enough; it really is half the battle. I have my Google Calendar, wall calendar AND day planner, where I’ve written all of my upcoming exams and essay due dates. Keep things visible! I’m constantly looking ahead at the weeks, thinking about how I can plan my time and get things done.  

TIP: On top of everything, I also take a mid-size cue card and write out my goals for each week for the important things that I absolutely need to get done.

1. See your friends, even if it’s only once

Over the course of the exam period, it can be hard to make time for socialization and friends. But even if it’s just for a quick meal or a trip to the grocery store, I highly recommend seeing some friends during these chaotic weeks. They’ll be sure to help you feel like yourself again and give you some perspective. 

TIP: When you’re with your friends, try not to talk too much about schoolwork — chat about your favourite movies, a TV show you’re watching, new music you like… anything! It’ll make you feel like you’ve had more of a break.

1. Clean your workspace

One thing that really makes me feel more settled and relaxed during final exam season is having a clean space to work in. Whether it’s your bedroom, an office, or even just your desk, having a cleared off, decluttered area to focus is really helpful. I’m a firm believer in the “clear space, clear head” mentality.

TIP: Wipe down your laptop, phone and other electronics with a disinfecting solution. There’s something about this that always makes me feel better. 

1. Reward yourself

It’s so important to focus on balance while you’re studying and dealing with final exams. We can’t be all-in all the time! Take breaks when you need them, and reward yourself for your hard work. Watch your favourite show, bake your favourite treat or have a nice bubble bath. However you unwind, don’t put it off until your exams are over! You need to take care of yourself, always. 

TIP: After a long day of studying, I enjoy taking at least a few hours in the evening to spend time with my family — we order takeout and watch a movie!

1. Keep up your routine

There’s usually a tendency in exam season to disrupt normalcy and absolutely dive into doing only one thing — studying. Oftentimes, I would cut out normal parts of my routine, like eating a meal or exercising, and replace it with studying. This is not a good plan in the long run! My advice would be to keep up your “normal” routine as best as you can during exam season. Do the things you do everyday, and you’ll feel more relaxed and in control. 

TIP: I like to go for outdoor walks or a quick jog on the treadmill as part of my routine. It helps me clear my head and feel more like myself, even in the most stressful portion of the term. 

Exam season can be tough, but with the right skills and approach, you can make it manageable. I promise, you don’t have to feel like you’re going to burn out right before the finish line! The bottom line to remember is: take care of yourself! You know your limits and abilities, and despite the challenges, I’m sure that you can absolutely get through this. 

I’ll see you on the other side. Good luck!

Emma Johnston

Waterloo '22

Hi! My name is Emma, and I am completing my Bachelor of Arts in English Rhetoric, Media and Professional Communication at the University of Waterloo. I love journaling, peanut M&Ms, and collecting fashion magazines from around the world!