This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Winter can be tough on your skin. The strong wind and cold weather can make your skin appear dull and dry. Some people even notice their skin peeling off! Here are some tips to help your skin thrive this winter.

Apply sunscreen every day!

Sunscreen is not just for summer! Make it a part of your routine regardless of the weather. It is an important product to use to reduce the risk of getting skin cancer and premature aging. Though it’s cold outside, the sunlight will still reflect off of the snow and onto your face.

If you’re lazy when it comes to your skincare routine, opt for a moisturizing sunscreen to do two steps in one. However, I still recommend applying moisturizer separately! Use a sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or more. Some dermatologists even recommend reapplying sunscreen throughout the day!

So make sure you apply sunscreen all year round!

Moisturizer!

Moisturizing is key! Make sure you don’t skip this important step, especially during the winter. Adding this small step to your skincare routine prevents flaking, dryness, irritation, and itching – all common winter problems.

Dermatologists recommend choosing a fragrance-free formula to avoid irritation. It is also crucial that you moisturize your skin as soon as you get out of the shower. If you wait until you’re ready to apply your makeup or head out the door, you lose the water’s moisturizing benefits. In some cases, waiting to apply your moisturizer could lead to drier skin!

Also, don’t forget about your hands and feet. They need moisture as well!

Avoid hot showers!

It may be tempting to take a long, steamy shower as soon as you get back from school or work, but the heat can actually dry out your skin. If your skin turns red after a shower or your bathroom gets steamy, that’s a sign your showers are too long and hot! Try to limit your showers to 10-15 minutes under lukewarm water.

Don’t worry about removing germs. Lukewarm water is just as effective in doing that!

Invest in a humidifier!  

Investing in a good humidifier can be a blessing for your skin! The harsh wind outside and the heaters inside your house can dry out your skin. Using a humidifier can help add moisture to the air and keep your skin hydrated. It is recommended to keep a humidifier wherever you spend the most time in your house.

Set your humidifier to 60% and restore the moisture back into your skin!

Drink up!

This is more of a reminder than a tip. When it’s cold outside and we’re shivering more than sweating, it’s easy to forget about drinking water. Hydrating from the outside is not the only way to prevent dull skin. Drinking lots of water throughout the day can hydrate your body and skin from the inside. This is important because water has many other health benefits besides making your skin glow!

We also tend to lean towards hot tea or coffee more than water during the winter. While tea and coffee can be very beneficial, drinking too much of it can dehydrate your skin. So, do enjoy hot beverages in the winters, but don’t forget about water!

Ria Sen

Waterloo '22

Hi everyone! I’m Ria Sen, a Global Business and Digital Arts student at the University of Waterloo. I enjoy baking and watching reality tv shows!
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.