Wellness > Mental Health

5 Tips to Fall in Love With Yourself This Cuffing Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Cuffing season is here, which means more holidays and getting cozy. As the days get shorter and the nights get longer, it seems as if we suddenly crave a warm body right next to us. I know lots of people who tend to get cuffed up during the months of November and December, and I always sarcastically ask, “You couldn’t wait until after the holidays? The sweet spot is at the end of February!” Now, did those relationships last? Let’s just say I’m not the one to answer that. Here are 5 tips on how to get through cuffing season alone by practicing some good ol’ self-love.

1. Delete those dating apps. Now.

“Swiper, no swiping!” 

It wasn’t my intention to bring Swiper from Dora the Explorer into this, but say goodbye to swiping left and hello to giving yourself all the love, care, and attention you need. Millennials and Gen Zs really love their dating apps, including Tinder, Hinge, Bumble, and a bunch of other apps that don’t come to mind so easily for me, because I’ve never been eager to try new ones. Despite that I’m not someone who typically dates, I highly suggest you stay off dating apps if you want to take a little breather from any potential or further heartbreak.

2. Prevent boredom by focusing on your goals

I’m certain that once you start doing nothing at a quarter past midnight, your mind will wander like crazy. I just might be speaking based on personal experience. It’s important to keep yourself busy with healthy, productive tasks to distract yourself from unwanted thoughts and emotions. Do you run a small business on the side of your studies? Come up with a new product line! When you look across your room, does it look super messy, like a tornado passed through? Get cleaning to freshen up your environment (and also, your mind)!

3. Take up a hobby you’ve been wanting to for a long time

Ah, hobbies. Sometimes in life, after working yourself too hard, you just need to slow down, kick back, and relax. It’s important to know your limits! Thankfully, hobbies are a great stress reliever. You won’t even feel like you’re forcing yourself to do something, because you’ll enjoy it. Whether it’s painting, crocheting, reading books, hiking, or practicing yoga, be kind to your inner child and try partaking in a fun activity.

4. Turn up the music and “Shake Your Groove Thing” (by Peaches & Herb)

Time to throw those sad, slow, love songs away and start listening to some upbeat music! Personally, I’m a huge fan of ‘70s and ‘80s music. Alexa, play “Disco Inferno” by The Trammps. I think if I grew up in the magical era of disco, I would’ve been the happiest girl in the world, dancing my nights away. Whatever genre of music you enjoy, put your headphones on, grab a hairbrush in place of a mic, and get lost in paradise!

5. Have some laughs with friends and family

We’ve all heard the saying, “laughter is the best medicine”. Just because you’re a single pringle, doesn’t mean you can’t have fulfilling connections with friends and family members. In fact, they might even be better if you’re always one to end up in toxic relationships. Pandemic permitting, get together with all your loved ones in person and enjoy what life has to offer! If you also have an “ugh, so cute!” lovey-dovey pet or companion animal, you don’t need anyone else, really.

To every single gal out there dreading cuffing season, I hope these tips will help you combat those pesky feelings of sadness, anxiety, and loneliness. Remember this: A significant other isn’t a necessary ingredient in the recipe of loving yourself. You are worth it and deserve to be happy no matter what!

CC for Her Campus Waterloo