This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As another school year begins and we all head off to move into a new dorm, house or apartment, I find everyone is always looking for the newest way to spruce up their room or make it feel at home. For me, when I moved off to school last year (right before our second lockdown), I found myself wanting to fill my room with plants; and boy, did I ever. I went from having your basic succulent and cactus to buying a few more, and now I’m a proud plant mom to over 50 plants. What a rollercoaster it’s been! Plants are great, as not only are they beautiful, but they also increase productivity and mood and decrease stress and fatigue!

Through my “plant journey,” I have come to learn about all different types of plants; which ones are easy to take care of, hard to take care of, which ones ALWAYS die no matter how many you try to take care of, and which ones are perfect for purifying your air! Not to mention that by purifying your air, these plants help you sleep better, study better, and make your room look great! So, if you’re not sure where to start, here are the best plants to help purify your air that you need to buy this term!

1.Snake Plants

Snake plants, also known as sansevieria, are lovely plants that not only look beautiful as they are so simplistic, but they also have some great qualities such as air-purifying! These are one of the few plants that can convert CO2 into oxygen at night! This makes them ideal to have in your room! There are many types as well; they can grow with little light but thrive in sunlight! They are one of the lowest maintenance plants, so buy a snake plant and give it a try!

2. Pothos Plants

Pothos plants come in many varieties, such as gold, marble, satin and pearls n’joy. These are trailing plants, so they can be put on a shelf, another high location, or in a hanging pot! They are great air purifiers, and you can find a place for them no matter which type of housing situation you have for this term. Like snake plants, pothos also don’t mind a little neglect, so if you’re not a plant person, these might be the one for you!

3. Spider Plants

These plants resemble their name; with long green leaves, they definitely look like a spider. However these easy-to-care-for plants are cute, fun, and great for your health, too. Plus, if these plants are happy, they even produce little babies that grow off of them!

4. Aloe Vera

The last plant on this list is the aloe vera plant — perfect for purifying air, but also for health remedies. Inside their thick leaves, there is a fluid that has health and wound healing properties! It’s a dorm must-have, in my opinion. 

While there are many plants that purify the air, these are some of the best to add to your room this school term. Not all plants are hard to take care of, so find the right plant for you. Don’t forget that plants don’t just purify your air, but also help you in so many ways. Put a plant in your space this term to help you be more productive and healthy. Happy planting!

Hey! I'm a third-year honours arts student at the University of Waterloo! I major in English with a Digital Arts Communication minor and a tech writing specialization! Oh, and I also write for HC Waterloo! I'm an avid reader (go Gryffindor), obsessed with friends and gilmore girls, and a plant connoisseur!