2015’s First Campus Cutie: Sandun Dissanayake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Name: Sandun Dissanayake

Age: 20

Program: 3A Psychology

Relationship Status: Single

Celebrity Look-A-Like: George Clooney

Last lie you told? That I look like George Clooney

What did you have for breakfast? I try to be healthy as best as I can and consider myself a wannabe health-nut. I’ve been trying to gain muscle weight, so for breakfast, I had a roast chicken and I ate a plate of vegetables. My mom and my sister have been on a very restrictive, vegetarian diet and exercise regularly which has influenced me to lead a healthier lifestyle. I’ve just started eating more vegetables even though they’re not my favourite. I love carrots but I hate onions. I used to call them crunchies when I was little haha

Favourite Colour: Green. It’s always been green, always biased to green. I even liked the green starter Pokémon even though everyone usually hates the green starter Pokémon.

Most memorable class you’ve taken in Waterloo? Probably Psychology 101. I switched programs twice and before taking it, I didn’t realize I wanted to take it. After taking it I realized it might be something I would want to go into.  

If you could spend the day with any celebrity who would it be? Emma Watson. Because she’s pretty and she’s definitely smart. Despite being so famous, she still took the time to go to university during a huge time in her career, and I commend her for that. Also, I’d need some time to convince her that we’re perfect for each other.

Extra-curriculars you’re involved in on campus? I’m in UW Hip Hop. A few friends and I joined it for jokes but it turned out to be a fun experience. We met a lot of cool people who encouraged us to continue with it. I haven’t gone much recently because I’m trying to focus on school. I try to be a studious person. I want to be more involved though!

Favourite thing about being a Warrior? I like that we have a cool mascot. I wouldn’t want to be the Penguins or Squirrels but I do believe that we lack in school spirit when compared to Laurier and other schools.

How can we improve our school spirit? Our cheers definitely need work.

Most embarrassing moment? I remember we were playing in the playground. I banged my head on a portable in grade 1. I got knocked out and ended up peeing myself. I went home injured and in need of a change of clothes.

Favourite song on Spotify right now?  Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson Ft. Bruno Mars

What is your favourite TV show right now? I really like How To Get Away With Murder. It’s a really intense show; the last few episodes were crazy.

Best compliment you’ve ever received? I was walking to McDonalds one day and a flamboyant, gay man yelled “Wow, you look great! Nice outfit!” 

Biggest purchase you’ve ever made? I’ve had a $40 meal for myself at a restaurant before. It wasn’t necessarily a fancy restaurant; an average meal would’ve have been $15.

Name a hidden talent that you have: Acting.

What sparked your interest in acting? I’ve wanted to be an actor since I was born, basically. I’m sure that’s a common answer amongst a lot of people. But, my parents were always against it. Then one day my sister and I heard a commercial on a radio about an acting school in Toronto. Without telling my parents, my sister called and scheduled an interview. I ended up getting the interview and convinced my parents to let me go.  

Worst injury ever? My sister ran me over with a bike one time. We were playing in front of my house a long time ago, and I fell. She was on her bike and she just kept going. I have scars to this day!

Idea of a perfect date: Friendship is the biggest part of a relationship for me. If we get along really well as friends that is a big plus, but I also want you to get along with my friends as well. So for a perfect date, I’d much rather have me, her and a bunch of our friends just hanging out. I’m not into the cliché dinner and movie type of thing.

Instagram: nudnas

Tasnia is currently a student at the University of Waterloo in the Honours Rhetoric and Professional Writing Coop Program. With an interest in journalism and the communication industry, her passions include reading, writing, and watching commercials on YouTube. Follow her on twitter @tasnia_n! 
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!