This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Your time is yours. Really, it is. It’s not anyone else’s, but yours. You live your life, you make the choices.

In college it might seem that you don’t have time at all or maybe you have all the time in the world. As a matter of fact, time is money and time is your life. As a college student, it is important to always ask yourself “why” you are making your choices. After all, college is a place to learn and develop skills, so why waste your time?

Think about all the support you are receiving from your parents and family & how they hope you are using your time in college to grow. Make the most out of the resources available to you on campus & go after them. Nothing is going to come to you if you don’t put yourself out there. If there is an opportunity to learn, go for it! No one and nothing is stopping you—the only person stopping you is you.

As my dad always tells me, “God helps those who help themselves,” so really make the most out of your time in college. Go to those career fairs and join RSOs on campus to meet amazing people like yourself! As Delta Airlines also says, “Good things come to those who go,” a quote I try to emulate everyday.

Personally, I always look for the chance to learn, so I attended career fairs to meet companies who would possibly give me the chance to learn as part of their internship programs.

As an intern, putting yourself in the workplace of different companies gives you the chance to learn about how to work and improve in your next internship. This has been a valuable lesson, since I can take what I’ve learned at past internships and use it today. As a current TechX Intern at T-Mobile, I know what will make me go off-track in my work. Therefore, I am cautious of my time and the efforts I put in everyday when I go to work. For example, if I am stuck on a problem while coding or even understanding a project assigned to me by my manager, I ask my managers and my co-workers questions to clarify, instead of continuing to struggle by myself. Always help yourself! If I get stuck, I sometimes even Google things and that is perfectly fine for a software engineer. Help yourself and use the resources provided for you.  

Don’t go through life just barely scraping by—instead take these opportunities to strengthen yourself to become a better person you were yesterday. Take the chances in life and make wise decisions!

Hello! My name is Christin Lin and I am an undergraduate sophomore studying computer science at the University of Washington Seattle. I am very interested in improving my writing skills and expressing my thoughts & opinions through the form of writing. Additionally, I am very excited to get involved with the UW Her Campus Organization & I hope that my stories can reach out to a diverse range of people in the world!