Life > Academics

The 3 Steps to Success This School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Whether you’re a first-time college student or a veteran one, this year is going to look a little different for all of us. From going to an all-online format to actual, in-person schooling, this year might be a bit more stressful than before. Not to mention, most of us are trying to acclimate to a completely new setting and a brand new group of people! Whether you’re living in a dorm with a new roommate, finally taking classes you’re interested in, or finishing up your last year and getting your degree, here are my three main tips to help you have the best school year you can:

Talk to your classmates

After spending more than an entire year online, it may seem intimidating to try and speak to real-life people. I promise you, they’re not as scary as they seem! Plus, everyone is just trying to find their people, so there’s no harm in saying “hi.” Try turning and talking to the people around you in class; discussing the material will help you learn better, and you might make some friends along the way. Here’s a habit to remember: every time you sit down in class, make it your mission to introduce yourself to the people next to you, and ask their names — the hardest part is already done! And if you find yourself lonely, eating lunch alone, don’t worry too much about it; you’ll find your group in no time.

Use a planner or calendar

If you’ve never used a planner or a calendar to track your daily schedule, college is the time to begin. Before you know it, the multitude of classes you’re taking, the work you’re given, and any extracurriculars you choose are going to start piling up, and you won’t want to miss any important commitments. With a cute and stylish planner or even a simple online calendar (like the Google one), you’ll be able to plan all of your assignments, exams, grocery trips, and workout sessions. Get yourself a brand new planner, use it daily, and you’re one step closer to being that college student whose got their life together.

Take time for yourself

Possibly the most important tip of all, never forget to take care of yourself! There’s nothing wrong with a little self care. College can be a frustrating and stressful time, especially if you’re just starting out in a brand new environment. Whenever you see you have down time, try doing something for yourself; put on a nice face mask, give yourself a manicure, watch your favorite show, the possibilities are endless! Your education is important and do make sure to turn your homework in on time, but you’re a human being with real emotions, not a robot. Overworking yourself will just lead to worse performance, so if for nothing else, do some self-care to make sure you can do well in school. Taking a break is always ok — if you’re feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, or are just having a bad day, make some time to take care of yourself (you can even schedule it in your cute new planner!).

We hope that these couple tips can become rules you live by this school year, and help you have a more productive, stress-free time. Wishing you a successful year filled with high scores, amazing friends, and good times!

Shima is a junior at UW currently residing in Mukilteo, WA. She is majoring in Microbiology and hopes to someday become a physician. She enjoys baking bread, watching Teen Wolf, and practicing Taekwondo in her free time.