This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

We’re officially more than halfway through winter quarter, which can only mean one thing: it’s the midst of midterm season. With the quarter starting remotely and then changing to in-person partway through, it can be easy to forget how that has affected our mental health and our behavior by extension. It is always important to prioritize your wellbeing, especially during a time of academic stress, and a simple yet effective way to do this is through positive affirmations.

Positive affirmations are thoughts and statements that are repeated to challenge the negative emotions that we feel. I have compiled a shortlist of daily affirmations that you can use in order to encourage self-love and personal growth.

“I can do this.”

It’s no secret that college courses are rigorous, but that difficulty should never let you feel as if you didn’t earn this academic opportunity. Whenever you find yourself stressed out beyond reason, or struggling with an assignment, it’s important to remember that you are more than capable. And not just in an academic setting, but any endeavor you set your mind on.

“I am excited to learn something new today.”

With college being regarded as a direct pipeline to the job market, it can be easy to forget what the point of it is in the first place: to get an education. You have the opportunity to learn from some of the nation’s (if not the world’s) top experts in a variety of subjects. Knowledge is power, so remind yourself to hone in on your inherent curiosity.

“I will not compare myself to others.”

It’s a habit we’re all too familiar with – understanding ourselves in relation to others is natural, but you should never compare the path you’re on to someone else’s. We’ve all lived different lives with different sets of obstacles, so it doesn’t make sense to compare our failures to the successes of others (no matter how much we inevitably want to). 

“I will accomplish everything that needs to be done.”

College can be…overwhelming. Between classes, work, extracurriculars, social obligations, and taking care of yourself, sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in the day. Whenever you feel stressed about how much is on your plate, remember to take a breath, because you will successfully accomplish all your tasks.

“I will not worry about things outside of my control.”

It’s not uncommon to get in our own heads about how past experiences have affected us, but it’s unwise to let them affect how you live your life. No matter how much we want it to be true, we are not in charge of every aspect in our lives. A positive outlook is one of the only things you can control, so utilize it and don’t focus on the unpredictable.

“Good things are coming.”

We can feel burdened by problems that seem ever-expanding, but it’s important to remember that they do not define you. Remind yourself that good outcomes are coming because you are resilient and can get through anything. An authentic belief in yourself and what you are capable of goes a long way.

Annie Melnick

Washington '24

Annie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus UW, majoring in English with a minor in Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies. She is originally from Los Angeles, and is a self-described bookworm, reality competition show superfan, and coffee connoisseur, among other things.