How to Create a Healthy Lifestyle in College 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Let’s be honest, with a plethora of social events and the always available option of microwavable food it is easy to fall into unhealthy habits in college. The gym feels too far, the dorm kitchens are too crowded, and going outside is just too cold. However, there are a few easy actions you can take to cultivate your own healthy lifestyle while still having fun! 

Try something new

While this might feel scary and uncomfortable at first, it can be a great way to nurture both your physical and mental health. Check out the campus gym for weekly fitness classes, such as yoga or mindfulness. Trying something new and finding the motivation to develop a new skill will be rewarding in the long run. During my first month at college I decided to check out the rock climbing center (something I never thought I would try)! I was terrified at first, but the experience helped me meet some really cool people, as well as push myself to learn a new physical skill!  

A breath of fresh air

Don’t let the cold weather stop you from taking that hot girl walk. Grab your warmest jacket and favorite beanie and start walking. Try out different routes, find new scenery, and get some much needed fresh air! 

h20 all day

Remembering to stay hydrated might be harder than any essay or problem set. It’s one of our basic human needs, yet it is often overlooked. Try to bring a water bottle to class, so you have something to drink throughout the day. Even try out hydration multipliers at home for some extra H2O! 

chefs kiss

Skip out on the instant ramen and microwavable mac ‘n cheese for one night and plan a cooking night with your friends or roommates! Not only is this a great way to nourish yourself, it is also fun to bond over food! After realizing just how much takeout I was eating on a weekly basis, I started to host cooking days with my friends. From waffle and fruit salad Sundays to Thursday pasta nights, we’ve been able to learn new cooking skills while making worthwhile memories.

call friends and fam 

Being healthy is more than just working out and eating well, it also means feeling healthy and happy. In college, life seems to move faster and sometimes that can be isolating. Don’t forget to lean on your support system–your family and friends, whether they are near and far! 

Give these tips and tricks a chance! Cultivating a healthy lifestyle as a college student is filled with challenges, but there’s nothing more rewarding than feeling like your best self.

Koren Kano

Washington '26

Koren is a Contributing Editor at HCUW this year. She is a sophomore majoring in Psychology and minoring in Law, Societies, & Justice at the UW. She is from Honolulu, Hawai'i and enjoys spending time outdoors on hikes or at the beach. Koren was a Contributing Writer last year, focusing on pieces about fashion, experiences, and college life.