This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

1. Get enough sleep.

Sleep is a NECESSITY. Sleep is essential to staying alert and maintaining good health, let alone getting a good score on that test. Pulling all-nighters will absolutely destroy you. It’ll throw off your internal clock and make you fall asleep throughout the day, and can even make you physically sick. If you’re exhausted when studying, there’s no way you’ll be able to retain any of the information. Take naps if absolutely necessary, but don’t wake up in the year 2047.

2. Take study breaks.

Studies show that taking breaks will positively affect your attention and focus abilities. Every two hours or so of hardcore studying, take a break by walking (because going to the gym is asking for a lot), run a quick errand, take a shower, etc. Studying for 3+ hours straight will be ineffective because you’ll start to lose focus every other 5 minutes and taking an excessive number of mini breaks.

3. Watch a female-empowering movie on the weekend, or when you have time to take an extra long study break.

1. Legally Blonde
  2. Matilda
  3. Mulan
  4. The Help
  5. She’s The Man

​These are a couple of movies I would watch in high school on the weekends that have a bunch of badass female protagonists that inspire you to be the best you possible. It’s super motivating to watch all of these protagonists prove everyone who underestimated their ability to succeed wrong.

4. Eat (healthy).

Eating is important. There’s nothing worse than your stomach growling and distracting you when reading your textbook. If you’re not going to go to the gym anytime soon, do your best to eat healthy. Eat fruits, yogurt, and other healthy little snacks to keep you energized when putting in work. It might be easier to order in pizza or fries, but feeling bloated after eating really fattening food can make you feel lazy and sleepy, hindering your productivity. Put down those chips!

5. Connect with your support system.

If you’re having a hard time studying or in general, put the books down and call your family or friends. Simply talking to someone who is going through or went through the struggle of academics in general is really relieving. Friendships are also fostered through big study sessions and just overall struggling through school together. Studying with friends (without slacking off too much…) can not only motivate each of you guys to keep on studying, but also provide the emotional support you need.

Good luck on your exams! 

Alyssa is from Southern California and has family in Hawaii. When she's not eating, studying, or volunteering, she is watching horror movies or baking.