This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The classes during winter quarter are for sure my hardest ones to make it through. Now that the weather is colder and we are dressed in our coats, boots and scarfs… every once in awhile, before knowing it, we start to dooze off in class. (Not to say that the classes are boring or anything, just that the days are shorter, and dressing too warm and comfy is making it harder to stay awake during long lectures.) If you are running into these troubles, don’t worry! Here are some tips to help you stay focused throughout the day!

Some of you may already be a pro at this, but if you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time to grab some colorful pens to class. Writing notes with pretty colored pens and taking pride in how beautiful your notes look as you go along is literally one of the best ways out there to stay awake and focused in class. Before you know it, you’ll fall in love with note taking and won’t think the lecture is too boring after all. 

photo via besmartaboutlife

photo via tumblr

Similarly to writing in colorful pens, doodling on the margins of your notes is also a fantastic way to keep you from falling asleep. Doodling helps your brain to stay active and focused. Next time when you’re about to doze off, pull out a pen and get creative!

Lastly, bring water and a snack to munch on during class. The little bag of snacks will keep you occupied when you’re not writing stuff down. (Most professors do allow food in class, but definitely check the classroom policy). Also something that won’t cause too much of a noise issue to your fellow classmates would be good too :) 

photo via Heidi Swapp