Girl Holding Her Knees
Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Deal with Disappointment During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Transitioning to online classes, having graduation delivered remotely, and having summer internships or jobs get canceled are just a few of the many disappointments that you may be facing right now. The good news? You’re not alone, AND no matter how out of reach things may seem at the moment, remember that these feelings of disappointment are temporary. Until then, here’s a few tips on how to manage dealing with disappointment during quarantine!

1. Process what you’re feeling

Remember that it’s perfectly natural to experience disappointment when you’ve had expectations that were different from the outcome of the situation that you’re in. Rather than take out these feelings of disappointment on yourself or those around you, keep in mind that there are some things in life that no one can control. If you’re sad, angry, or disappointed, it’s okay to acknowledge and process those emotions! Just be mindful to process them in a way that does not inflict further pain or disappointment on yourself or those you love. 

2. Accept your situation 

After processing how you feel about a disappointment you’re facing, it’s time to accept the situation you’re in. Sometimes you’ll be able to make some changes that will bring positive results – but other times you may not. If you discover that there is not much you can do about the situation, try to adapt to it and make the most of it! Just because life has slowed down during quarantine, doesn’t mean that you can’t celebrate milestones or make new goals for yourself. 

3. Evaluate what you can do in this moment 

Like I said earlier, there are some things we can control and others we cannot. For instance, if you discover that your dream internship or study abroad trip has been canceled, there is not much you can do to reverse that decision. However, you can still work towards preparing for those opportunities once they open up again! For the study abroad trip, you can learn more about the language or culture of the country you were going to travel to and for the job, you can learn new skills through online classes or volunteer your time towards COVID-19 relief efforts.

4. Make a plan and work towards it

This step will look different for every person. Whether you want to work towards a plan to work on a specific situation or create completely new goals for yourself, make sure to stick to that plan once you create it! Set reasonable goals for yourself and remember to be kind to yourself during this time. Progress won’t happen all in one day, but if you keep to your goals bit by bit, by the end of quarantine you’ll be able to see just how far you’ve come!

5. Focus on the positive

Everyone has a different approach to coping with change and there’s no right or wrong way to go about handling disappointment! Remember to make time for people you love, dedicate some time for yourself, and look towards the goals you set. You will get through this and by the end, hopefully you will learn new passions, interests, or something about yourself that you didn’t know before! 

Callista Ordonez

Washington '22

Callista is a second year student at the University of Washington studying Global Public Health! She is from Southern California and enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with friends, and kayaking on the lake.