This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Have you ever thought of how much your consumption has a great impact on the economy and environment?  Did you realize that the glass bottle that you bought that day has consequences for water scarcity in India? That the clothing you purchased from a big corporation has led to unemployment in Indonesia? The actions and behaviors in your day to day life have significantly impacted the way is economy distributed, and has threatened a sustainable environment. It is valuable for us, as a society, to sustain the environment. One way to make a radical change is to buy, eat, and use local products. Here are the benefits when we buy local products:

1. A lower carbon footprint 

The large companies might be less sustainable than small corporations since they might outsource from a different region of the country forcing us to spend more money towards the cost of transportation. This affects the carbon footprint of our food. Have you ever notice how much food you eat that is from China or Los Angeles? This means a longer shipping process. When you go local, the food comes from nearby. 

2. Supporting local business 

According to OzarkNaturalFoods, “Eating local means more money stays within your community. Every dollar spent generates twice as much income for the local economy.” When your community has an equal distribution of money, we promote a better economic cycle. Imagine everyone in our society having the buying power to access healthy food, home, and clothes. 

3. Fresher food 

Local food usually comes from our local farmer, and they sell food fresh from the farm a.k.a the best quality of the food (no harmful chemicals). According to Cuesa.org, “Much food found in grocery stores is highly processed and grown using pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and genetic modification. Some of it has been irradiated, waxed, or gassed in transit.” Not only will local food give you the tastiest flavor, but it also provides you with the healthiest option available. 

Via Pinterest

Saving the world sometimes start from something small. You have the power to help the economy and environmental problems. The beginning of change starts with you. 

Safira Vasya

Washington '20

About me: I am a pre-med biology student at UW! I am a writing enthusiast, oldies music lovers and a cat whisperer since ‘98. Find me on Twitter @SafiraVasya Let's chat!