Wellness > Health

Floral First Aid: How Springtime Flowers Can Ease Common Ailments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

While we are in the peak of springtime, it is important for us to appreciate the natural beauty of the season: the sun, the breeze, and the newly blooming flowers. As spring unfurls its vibrant palette, the blossoming flowers not only enchant our senses but also harbor a plethora of healing properties. Many of these seasonal blooms, commonly found in gardens and meadows, have been used in traditional remedies for centuries. From soothing skin irritations to alleviating seasonal allergies, the natural efficacies of spring flowers offer a gentle yet effective alternative for treating common at-home ailments. In this article, we delve into the colorful world of springtime flora, exploring how these blossoms can be harnessed to enhance our health and well-being right from the comfort of our homes.

Echinacea

Echinacea, often dubbed the “superhero of herbs,” packs quite the punch when it comes to healing. This spiky purple flower is a powerhouse of immune-boosting properties. Whether you’re battling a pesky cold or just need a little pick-me-up, echinacea is an easy and accessible remedy. Pop it in a tea or grab some capsules, and let this herb aid in your healing.

Common Rose

Roses have internal benefits as well as superficial ones; the medical benefits of roses include the treatment of inflammation, dysmenorrhea (painful periods), and stress. More superficially, rose water specifically has been proven by researchers at the NIH (National Institute of Health) to be a healthy skin agent, as it has important antibacterial properties.

Chamomile

Chamomile is one of the more commonly known herbal remedies, often found in relaxation or sleepy-time teas, meant to be sipped before bedtime to invite tranquility or enjoyed as a digestive aid after a hearty meal. So if you need a pre-bedtime tranquilizer or stomach relief, chamomile tea and syrups are cheap and accessible at most general stores.

Marigold

Marigolds, with their vibrant blooms and robust properties, stand as nature’s versatile healer. These golden flowers boast a range of benefits. From soothing skin irritations with their anti-inflammatory properties to deterring pests in the garden with their natural repellent abilities, marigolds prove to be a multifaceted ally in both wellness and horticulture.

In embracing the bountiful offerings of nature’s pharmacy, these flowers remind us of the boundless healing potential found in the simplest of blooms.

Remember, though, what works wonders for one person might not have the same effect for another. So, while these flowers can be a fantastic addition to your wellness arsenal, it’s always wise to listen to your body and consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice.

Kaya Moss

Washington '25

Hi all! My name is Kaya Moss, I am currently a third-year student at the University of Washington majoring in Biology and minoring in Nutrition and Food Systems. Some of my favorite subjects at the moment are Culinary Sciences and Physiology, but in the future I would love to learn more about Botany and Zoology. I am very passionate about the work I do employed by the University's Medical Center working with transplant patients. In the future I plan to become a Physicians Assistant specializing in either OB/GYN or surgery. I am also a person with many hobbies but some of my favorites include crocheting, sewing, baking, paddle boarding and jewelry making. I often spend my free time reading, some of my must-reads at the moment include Kite Runner and The Secret History. One of my newer hobbies includes cooking new recipes, this often helps me feel more connected to my Filipino heritage and my dad, who for many years was a French chef. I look forward to pursuing my interest in journalism and sharing my ideas with other women.