Sunset Ocean Beach Sky Evening
Sunset Ocean Beach Sky Evening
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Wellness

Being Thankful for the Little Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Expressing gratitude for the people and things around us is something that should be practiced on a daily basis. All of us have taken things for granted at one point or another and with the spread of COVID-19, learning how to be aware and appreciative of the little things in our lives is valuable. It’s not always easy to stop and soak in the good that life has to offer during tough times but with rituals and practices that work best for you, it can seriously change your perspective on life. For instance, I love to journal every night before I go to bed and I also take frequent breaks off of social media to be present with my family. 

It might not seem like it, but feeling gratitude and expressing thankfulness has a significant positive impact on the brain. According to the Greater Good Magazine at UC Berkeley, people who donated to a charity they care about “showed greater neural sensitivity in the medial prefrontal cortex, a brain area associated with learning and decision making. This suggests that people who are more grateful are also more attentive to how they express gratitude.” Personally, when I take the time to appreciate the positive aspects of life in the current moment, I’m instantly in a better mood and my mind feels refreshed. 

Of course, expressing that you’re thankful for someone or something doesn’t have to be done through basic activities like journaling or meditation (something that I can never get myself to do), as there are plenty of other ways to do so. One of my favorite ways to practice gratitude is through mindful eating. This means that I eat my meals without any distractions around me. I keep any distractions like my phone or TV off and I eat  with my family while focusing on every bite I take and how it tastes. By doing this, I’m able to acknowledge the food that I’m fortunate enough to have and take time to be with people I care about.

Something I also enjoy doing is writing thank you notes to people. It can be a simple text, email, or phone call but it’ll be sure to brighten up anyone’s day. With the restrictions that come with social distancing, many of us feel lonely. So far, I’ve sent letters to grandparents and have facetimed my friends. It only takes a small fraction of your day to let someone know they aren’t alone and that they’re cared about. 

Other easy ways to express gratitude: 

• Think of challenges as a chance to work on self growth

• Make a daily gratitude list  

• Go for a walk without your phone and focus on the beauty of nature 

• Give more compliments 

• Identify things you tend to take for granted and try to pay more attention to them

Whether it’s friends, family, food, or a roof over your head, there are so many things to be thankful for especially during COVID-19. I can’t help but to stop and take a moment to be grateful that I’m currently in good health, am able to receive excellent education, and get to spend extra time with family. What are you grateful for? 

Jodhi James

Washington '21

Jodhi is a member of the writing team at Her Campus. She is studying English and has always had a love for reading and writing. In her free time she enjoys exploring new cafes and having fun with friends in the city.