nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Being Single During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

It’s officially cuffing season. That’s right. This is when we see all the cute fall and winter couple photos, and videos. This is when everyone is going to cute festive dates and are always busy because they want to spend time with their significant others. Everyone is boo’ed up, and for whatever reason, you aren’t. Whether you just didn’t meet the one, or you chose to be single, it’s normal to feel a little lonely during the holiday season, especially when it seems like you are the ONLY one that doesn’t have a significant other in their life to spend every second of their life with. However, you aren’t alone. There are millions of people feeling just the way you are, and that’s okay! You don’t have to be in a relationship to have this holiday season, or like, ever. Many people seem to glorify relationships as this immaculate thing that we can’t live without, but actually, we can and quite well, too.

Sure, relationships are great. You have someone you can rely on, who you care about, and enjoy being with. However, you can have all those same things WITHOUT being in a relationship. The only difference is that in a relationship, you get to kiss someone every once in a while. People seem to forget that friendships and family ties can run as deep as relationships, and seem to put all their happiness and time into this one person, when in reality, your friends and family are just as important. So, if you’re feeling blue about not having a girlfriend/boyfriend/partner, go hang out with your other single friends. I’m sure you have them! Go watch silly holiday movies, or get hot chocolate together, or bake a cake, or a concert, or just lounge around and talk about each other’s feelings. If you really, really don’t have any single friends, then take the opportunity to bond more with your family. Make dinner with your mom, go on a walk with your dad, confide in your brothers and sisters, go out and have fun with your cousins! Or, if you don’t like either of those ideas, use this time to focus on yourself. Get to know yourself better, cultivate your passions, try and quit the habits you don’t like about yourself. Don’t let all the couples surrounding us get you down.You’re time will come, and in the meantime, you’ll be okay. It’s okay to be alone, to be alone does not mean to be lonely, and I think many people tend to forget that. So embrace the fact that you are single, and that you don’t have the obligation to spend money on any other humans other than yourself.

Elizabeth Mugho

Washington '23

I'm a freshman at the University of Washington, with a passion for writing.