Halle Bailey as Ariel in the Little Mermaid
Disney

“Actors on Actors” : A Look Into the Reality of Becoming a Disney Princess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Variety’s beloved “Actors on Actors” series is back, and it’s – arguably – better than ever. 

An acclaimed talk show entering its 19th season, “Actors on Actors” features a number of the biggest names in film in conversation with one another. Through various one-on-one discussions between celebrities specifically paired together, this show gives actors the chance to converse about shared experiences, interesting methodologies for performing, behind-the-scenes details about the set, and seemingly candid moments throughout their careers. In this way, “Actors on Actors” presents its viewers with an unparalleled glimpse into the musings of some of Hollywood’s best and brightest. 

This year’s lineup is nothing short of captivating. Among many others, pairings like Emma Stone with Bradley Cooper, Emily Blunt with Anne Hathaway, Jeffrey Right with Taraji P. Henson, and Natalie Portman with Paul Mescal ensure that this season is certainly one to watch. Variety Co-Editor-In-Chief, Ramin Setoodeh, explains that these conversations will be released over a span “of 12 days, starting on Dec. 4 and on PBS SoCal in January.”

Though I have been watching every episode eagerly, one of the pairings stands out to me as beautifully representative of current, and future, cinema: Rachel Zegler with Halle Bailey. 

zegler and Bailey on their fairytale (or not-so-fairytale) experiences

Whenever a beloved work gets reimagined – whether it be in television, film, art, literature, or music – there is bound to be conflict between those who advocate for the original and those who relish in something new. Such is, and always has been, the case with Disney’s live-action renditions of their classic movies, specifically the Disney Princess series. 

Rachel Zegler, who plays Snow White in Disney’s upcoming live-action adaptation, and Halle Bailey, who recently played Ariel in the live-action The Little Mermaid, sat down in their “Actors on Actors” conversation to discuss turning a musical career into a film career, being new to the movie industry, and dealing with doubt and imposter syndrome.  

In this dialogue, both actors – Zegler being 22 and Bailey being 23 – resemble personifications of grace and thoughtfulness when considering their careers and struggles as young women in Hollywood. Both Zegler and Bailey have received a plethora of hate for their roles as Disney Princesses, primarily because of the way that their portrayal of Snow White and Ariel, respectively, lean away from the original films. 

In Rachel Zegler’s case, she was shamed and looked down upon after making remarks about the ways in which her modern Snow White tale differs from the themes present in the original, specifically in terms of Snow White’s personal agency and reliance on a prince. While it remains true that people cherish the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs film, at what price are we willing to hold things back from growing and expanding simply because we are fond of the original? 

There is no doubt in my mind that value resides in femininity and love – look at Elle Fanning’s depiction of Princess Aurora for a perfect example of this notion – but this does not mean that by wanting her character to explore a different approach to these themes and characteristics, Zegler is diminishing the value of the original Snow White. By wanting her character to add new depth to the “damsel in distress” narrative that is so often associated with fairytales, I believe Zegler is opening the door for even more representations of women in film to be made. 

In a similar vein, Halle Bailey was bombarded with an intense amount of hatred upon her casting for The Little Mermaid. Being a Black woman cast to play a role traditionally depicted as a White woman, Bailey was met with endless racism and discrimination. “Naysayers,” as Bailey often refers to them in the conversation with Zegler, were adamant about the fact that the race of Ariel was somehow integral to the continuity of the story from the cartoon to the live-action adaptation, a perspective rooted in prejudice. 

Just as author Rick Riordan stated when he cast Leah Jeffries as Annabeth Chase in the upcoming Percy Jackson and the Olympians TV series, “The true nature of a character lies in their personality.” Bailey’s angelic disposition, joyful and curious nature, and musical talent made her – in my opinion – the perfect person to represent the thoughtful, free-spirited character of Ariel that so many people love. Like Zegler, Bailey’s strength and commitment to her role as Ariel also opens the door for a more diverse and representative casting process, a necessary step in the right direction that means the world to so many people.    

changing the future of film

In the end, both Zegler and Bailey bonded over their “human moments” and shared feelings of imposter syndrome upon entering into stories that so many people hold near and dear. However, Zegler summarized her perspective on dealing with the backlash that both of them have received, saying that “choosing thankfulness and gratefulness is choosing peace.” Bailey echoed this sentiment, and both continued the interview by uplifting one another and having grace for themselves and their experiences. 

Perhaps the strength and resilience of two young women in Hollywood – faced with navigating racism, hatred, and misogyny while learning to exist in the film industry – can serve as a lesson for the future of film, specifically how the audience chooses to react to such films and castings. 

Choose to have grace for people. Look at the world with an open mind. Listen to meaningful conversations. Learn. Grow. Expand. 

This is how we make the world into our own version of a fairytale. 

Tara Boyd

Washington '26

Tara is a second year student at the University of Washington. She is studying English Literature and hopes to one day be an author. In her free time, Tara can be found reading, dancing, going to concerts, and spending time with loved ones!