8 Essentials Every Girl Needs To Survive Fall Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

While fall brings pumpkin spice lattes, changing leaves, and the return of our beloved football gamedays, it also signals the start of school and all that entails. With extracurriculars, leadership roles, your courseload, and trying to maintain a social life, managing fall quarter—let alone the year—can feel a little overwhelming. Lucky for you, we’ve got a few must-haves that will make this autumn a breeze.

1. A new skincare go-to

We all know that stress can do a number on your skin, and it’s important to give it a little extra pampering even when your schedule gets crazy & midterms are piling up. Face masks are a quick and easy way to rejuvenate your skin, plus you can multitask with some homework or some Netflix while it’s on. Freeman Beauty uses fresh botanicals and pure ingredients so using one of their masks means you’re putting only the best on your face’s sensitive skin. If you feel like your complexion has been a little dull lately, try their Feeling Beautiful Rejuvenating Cucumber + Pink Salt Clay Mask to gently exfoliate and leave you glowing. Breakouts driving you crazy? Their Feeling Beautiful Manuka Honey + Tea Tree Oil Clay Mask + Cleanser will help purify your pores. After enduring Seattle’s wind and rain for a quarter, Freeman Beauty’s Feeling Beautiful Detoxifying Charcoal + Black Sugar Mud Mask is super hydrating and and will leave your skin silky smooth and soft.

2. A tasty coffee alternative 

While coffee can give you the extra boost you need during long days on campus, it also comes with a variety of not-so-great side effects, like a caffeine crash or feeling super jittery. The fizz from sparkling water can also have an energizing effect, and you’ll stay super hydrated—not end up dehydrated after a few too many Americanos. Plain water, however, is not what one would call “delicious.” That’s why Spindrift offers a bunch of delicious flavors made with real, squeezed fruit, like Orange Mango, Blackberry, Lemon, and Raspberry Lime. Just make sure you turn the can over a few times to mix up the real fruit inside. Best of all, all its sugar comes from real fruit, not high fructose corn syrup.  

3. Your secret to a good hair day

Unfortunately for us, Seattle’s rainy reputation is well-earned, which means serious humidity—which means serious frizz. Bed Head by TIGI has two great hairsprays to keep your hair under control even on those monsoon-esque days. Try Masterpice Shine Hairspray if you want your tresses extra glossy, or the Hard Head Hairspray for when you need your style to be unshakeable. And, as college students, we know sometimes your schedule gets hectic and you need to rock second-day (or, if we’re being honest…third-day) hair, which is why dry shampoo is every girl’s best friend. Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo will add some much-needed texture, and their Oh Bee Hive! Matte Dry Shampoo will give your ‘do 60’s volume.

4. An agenda as hardworking as you are

With a million things on your plate, you need somewhere to keep it all in one place. Erin Condren’s Hardbound LifePlanner will help you streamline your schedule and make your to do lists more stylish. The chic design means you’ll actually enjoy pulling it out of your backpack and the simple, horizontal layout inside helps you see your entire week at a glance so you always know what’s coming up. The 5″x8″ size is even perfect for slipping into a crossbody bag if you’re packing light on your way to a lab section or meeting.

5. A sweet treat on the go

Healthy eating is an important part of making the most of your college experience, but sometimes a small treat can really brighten your day. Instead of overdoing it with carbs or chocolate, try HI-CHEW, a popular Japanese candy made with real fruit. Whether you’re a fan of sweet or sour, there’s a flavor for everyone, from Green Apple to Grapefruit. Pick it up at your local grocery or convenience store and throw a few into your backpack for when you might need a quick pick-me-up.

6. A summery glow all year round

Once the rainclouds roll in to our fair city, that bronzy summer tan vanishes from our skin faster than you can say “weather forecast.” If you’re missing that golden glow, L’Oreal Paris offers an easy way to get your tan on. Their Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes fit easily into your busy schedule—use a few wipes, give the formula 2-4 hours, and enjoy your streak-free, natural-looking tan. Just throw them in your gym bag, tote, or suitcase and take your glow on the go, wherever you’re headed.

7. A travel-sized travel hack

Whether you’re headed back home for Thanksgiving, booked an airbnb with your friends for Veterans Day weekend, or are just spending the night at someone else’s apartment, your toothbrush is going with you. Well, add a Steripod to your packing list. It’ll keep your toothbrush bristles clean and dry, helping prevent gross germ buildup. Developed by doctors and lab-tested, never stress about how clean your toothbrush actually is again. Just clip on a Steripod, toss your toiletries in your bag, and go!  

8. Easy Accessories to Elevate Any Outfit

While our first day of school outfits may have been oh-so-carefully chosen, a few weeks into fall quarter odds are we’re rocking yoga pants almost daily. On days when you just don’t have the time to put together a full-fledged Cher Horowitz-worthy ensemble, let your Aeropostale accessories do the work. Whether it’s adding some ladylike flair with delicate jewelry, channeling Blair Waldorf with a chic headband, or sliding on some effortlessly cool wayfarer shades, these finishing touches can really help you look more polished—even if you’re running late on a Monday morning.

Even though the quarter system can be a whirlwind, these eight essentials can help make your autumn go by just a little more smoothly. Whether it’s treating yourself to a face mask or letting a planner keep you on track through a busy week, taking advantage of helpful products to get through midterms, finals, or just a regular week will make your life so much easier.

Hannah is a senior studying marketing and English at the University of Washington and is the Editor of the UW Her Campus chapter. She was also a Summer 2017 editorial intern for Her Campus Media. When not editing, writing, or pitching articles, she's probably at brunch.