This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Time: there is never enough of it. You’re busy right? You have school, a job, family, friends, perhaps a relationship. You have to study, you have to commute, you have to workout, you have to take care of yourself, and you have to take care of others. 

Let’s take a look at the college triangle: 

Does it resonate?

If yes, you have come to the right place.

Finding time to maintain your social life can seem difficult and finding time to make meaningful connections in that social life can seem altogether impossible.

Given this reality of college life, here are five simple things you can do to show the important people in your life that you care:

Dedicate one day a week to talking 

Whether you are five minutes away or a plane ride away, creating a dedicated time to talk each week with your mom, friend, sibling, partner, etc. will show them you care. Be intentional about your communication and take their schedule into consideration. Consistency breeds trust.

Send handwritten notes

We aren’t talking about long-form love letters here (although those will really show your person you care), we are talking about five sentences that shows your friend, family, or partner, that you think about them. This one works for long-distance relationships or roommates. Leave a sticky note on the bathroom mirror, send a postcard, leave a letter in their backpack. Handwritten is so much sweeter than a text, call me a romantic.

Share songs that remind you of them

Let’s be real here, most of us have our AirPods in when we aren’t in class or at work, so you have plenty of time to grow your music collection. When you hear a song that reminds you of your person send it their way. This literally takes fifteen seconds and might even put a smile on their face. Not to mention, when they listen to that song a few months from when you sent it to them, you’ll be on their mind. Eventually, you could even start a mutual playlist (how cute). 

Invite them to do simple tasks with you

Going to the grocery store? Walking to get coffee? Headed to the library for a while? Invite your person. Simple invitations might not seem important but this will allow you to spend more time together and it will make your monotous tasks a whole lot more enjoyable. It is also important to note that whether the person accepts your invitation or not, the invitation itself has meaning. Show them you want them to be a part of your day to day tasks.

Create a digital shared photo album

Photos are becoming more and more common with the growth of social media. Think about how often you take a photo for the Gram with your person. A great way to show you care, that you think about them, and that you value your shared experiences is to make a personal digital (or print!) photo album. Make a folder in your photos app with all your favorite photos and videos with that person and share it with them. Nothing like nostalgia to make you feel the value of a relationship.

Showing someone that you care doesn’t have to be a time consuming and strenuous task. There are small things, every day, that can make your person feel special. This list is just a start, pay attention to the things that make them happy and add those to your collection. The college triangle is real but there are ways to overcome it.

Abigail Taylor

Washington '20

Abigail is a student journalist at the University of Washington who also has an interest in Philosophy, Sociology, and Spanish Language Studies. She spends a majority of her time writing, studying, and binge watching Netflix. When she is not obligated to these three activities Abigail enjoys traveling, taking landscape and architectural photos, and taste-testing every flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Find her on twitter: @abigail_taylo